Options

Looking for some advice on WAN/switching experience

alisonrebeccaalisonrebecca Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been laid off from work, and I'm trying to find another network administrator job. I want to cover as many bases as possible with education and experience, and thinking I am a bit light on WAN/VLANs/subnet administration, and though I have passed Network and Security+ as well as worked directly with VLANs and subnets on the job, I am looking to add some more formal study about WAN technologies and switches to my resume but I want to avoid a course of study that will involve duplication of the things I have learned on the job or via study for my certificates (TCP/IP, basic switch configuration, network layers etc.).

I am currently working on an associates degree for general IT and and trying to decide which will help me in my job search and/or my new job - taking a Cisco Academy course in the spring from my school, or self study for a certificate that is heavy on those topics? And I am having trouble finding these resources so if anyone knows of a book, certificate or Cicso class or other study method that might help me, that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Getting a degree is a very smart and wise decision which will definitely help you down the road. I did self-study for my CCNA as it was much more affordable reading books, doing labs, simulations, review study guides, etc then taking classes/courses. I would recommend Cisco books by Todd Lammle as I found his reading style very easy to read and understand. I finished my CCNA within 3-6 months just studying weekly. ;)

Good luck!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63