Windows 2000 VPN Server

s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've setup a Windows 2000 VPN Server through RRAS. This is located on my home server behind a SOHO router. I have verified that the VPN is working by connecting/authenticating to the domain via another computer on my LAN. I have yet to try it from outside of my LAN.

I am unsure if I need to foward any ports to my Windows Server. Thus far, I have setup ports 1723 (PPTP) and 500 (IPSec) to foward to my server. I know I shouldn't be using PPTP, but for now I am learning how to setup VPN and will make it more secure later.

Is there anything else I need to do? Are these the correct ports? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinda busy right now, but check this out ...from TechRepublic

Learn How to Set Up, Configure,
    and Troubleshoot VPNs

Every week, one of the most popular search terms on TechRepublic is "VPN". As a result, we've put together a collection of free downloads that explain various VPN technologies and products, show how to set up and configure VPNs on Windows, and help IT professionals troubleshoot VPN problems.

VPN Downloads

10 Things You Should Know about Troubleshooting VPN Connections
    When you run into VPN problems, it helps to have a list of solutions to fall back on. Here are some of the most common issues encountered with VPN connections and advice on what to do about them.

Use this Step-by-Step Guide to Configure a VPN Server with Windows Server 2003
    Set up a Windows Server 2003-based PPTP virtual private network (VPN) with this step-by-step installation and configuration guide.

Walk Through a Standard Client Connection to a Windows VPN Server With this Guide
    Connect to a Windows Server 2003-based PPTP virtual private network (VPN) with this step-by-step user installation and configuration guide.

Join a Domain During Windows Logon Using a VPN Client
    This handy, one-page task sheet shows you how to achieve VPN connectivity during Windows logon using Microsoft's, Cisco's and Checkpoint's VPN clients. The process is designed for Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional.

Secure VPNs With IPSec, Cisco AVVID, and Cisco Safe Security Blueprints
    Make your VPN more secure with this sample chapter, taken from Cisco Press' CCSP Self-Study: Cisco Secure Virtual Private Networks (CSVPN), 2nd Edition.

Site-To-Site Connectivity: MPLS vs. IPSec
    Since the late 1990s, the popularity of site-to-site VPN has risen dramatically. However, while site-to-site VPN has replaced many leased lines and frame relay connections, it is now facing a major challenge from Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS). Here is an article and handy comparison chart that explains what MPLS is and how its features and functionality stack up against site-to-site VPN connectivity.

Troubleshooting MPLS Layer 3 VPNs
    For an end-to-end, step-by-step approach to troubleshooting MPLS VPNs, download this excerpt from Chapter 6 of Cisco Press' Troubleshooting Virtual Private Networks.

Understanding Any Transport over MPLS (AToM)
    This book chapter, excerpted from Cisco Press' Layer 2 VPN Architectures, explains the general properties of the pseudowire emulation over MPLS networks specified in IETF documents. This chapter also highlights additional features that AToM supports.

VPN Discussions, Blogs, and Links

VPN Discussions
    VPN Blogs
    VPN Links
    VPN White Papers / Webcasts

Five Common Security Mistakes that Companies Make when Deploying and Managing VPNs and Endpoint Security
    Hear how the industry's first Web-hosted VPN and endpoint security service, PositivePRO, can take the hassle out of providing secure remote access for corporate end users in this live Webcast on Thur., Sept. 22 at 2:00 PM ET / 11:00 AM PT, featuring Jason Sloderbeck, Director of Security & Service Delivery at Positive Networks.

Cisco - 100 Questions and Answers on SSL-VPN
    Get answers to the top 100 SSL-VPN questions from top Cisco VPN experts. Learn how remote access solutions support broad employee access, contractor and extranet connectivity, and more.

Get the 3-in-1 SSL VPN Decision Toolkit
    Trying to choose the best remote access technology? In one download you'll get these three invaluable decision-support resources: 1.) Aventail's SSL VPN Technical Primer: Technology overview and IPSec vs. SSL VPN comparison; 2.) Buyer's Guide: Assessment criteria and questions to ask VPN vendors; and 3.) Purchase Checklist: SSL VPN requirements in six Feature/Function categories.

How to Implement Endpoint Security for Remote Users and VPNs
    Download this white paper to learn more about Positive Networks' PositivePRO VPN service, which provides comprehensive managed endpoint security. Combining state-of-the-art technology with a policy management system and a support infrastructure in a service-based solution model, it encompasses anti-virus software, anti-spyware, firewall, critical updates, authentication, intrusion detection, and more.
    Copyright © 2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007