Options

USB Keyboard and Mouse failure on W8 logon screen

knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
Hi Guys,

I really hope someone here has run into this problem. Basically I installed windows 8 last night (with great resistance from the the machine itself) using a USB dvd drive, for some reason windows 8 installer just didn't want to read the USB devices. After some hard resetting and cursing... It finally installed.

Boot up into windows 8 and install updates then a restart. Keyboard and mouse light up in BIOS and work there also, as soon as the windows logo appears...Poof they stop.

If I randomly just click the mouse it lights up but no pointer on the screen, if I mash the keyboard I can see the num loc light faintly flashing to each keystroke. Even after multiple reboots it does the same.

I somehow managed to get them to work and logged in and thought "oh must me a patch that's needed" so I download 8.1 and restart. Poof back to how it was with the K&M working in BIOS but just turning off on the logo.

I've searched the net and it seems like either a chipset issue or a default setting to save power by disabling the USB (in windows device manager)

Now for some other information:
  • I have an NTFS formatted USB with the installer on which sometimes works
  • Sometimes the system just locks up and freezes on a reboot
  • When the above happens windows does a self repair and asks you to choose what you want to do... But I can't due to the USB K&M not working
  • I have Windows 8 OEM - Installation disk
  • I've tried yelling at it
Also for some reason the installer doesn't like UEFI... It says that I cant install on the drive due to an MBR on a GDI..?

I'd be happy to hear anyone's opinion on this as I'm like a few hours away from ripping my hair out
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    After continuing to look at this over the weekend and with support form Microsoft this is 100% down to the chipset driver. Windows has a generic one that doesn't work. Intel have stated that they will not be making one for windows 8 so I'll have to hope my motherboard provider will.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here is something that "might" work. Go into your BIOS and look for an entry that should say something like "Wake on USB". Enabling that might help.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't encountered an issue like this with Windows 8 yet, but it's good to know. The only times I've seen keyboard and mouse not functioning at the Windows login screen are due to rootkits/viruses (obviously not the case for you since it's a fresh install).
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At my part time job, we see loads of issues with Windows 8. The Windows Update service has a tendency to not fully install updates before causing a reboot. Once it does that, it can't boot correctly. Another lovely problem is that many, many times we've seen computers needing a refresh that ask for external media. When you plug in an external, USB thumb drive or DVD-ROM drive, it won't recognize it. Makes it pretty difficult to reinstall Windows when it can't recognize the very media it is asking for! Other than that, Windows 8 is pretty stable. I've never had any issues with Windows 8/8.1 on my computer, thankfully.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me