Options

The journey begins...

The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
So, I finally cracked the ICND1 book by Wendell Odom...

First thoughts, oh my... there is a lot of material for me to cover in this book. Now, I just have to figure out how to keep myself motivated to read all of it.

Any suggestions?

I really only have the weekend to study, as my work schedule keeps me pretty busy during the week.
Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Curiosity is always my motivation. I really enjoy learning how things work! Other people use bettering their career, more money etc. Whatever works.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    ICND1 is very dry. It isn't required by any means, but I would do as much labbing as possible. This kept the studying fun for me. I learned a lot trying to find equipment on ebay etc. Again you dont need to lab at all for ICND1, but if you have some flexibility in your finances labbing will help keep you motivated.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Can you not get an hour in at lunchtime? Before bed?

Motivation well why did you decide to do it in the first place? There's your answer!

I agree with labbing though, theory is all well and good and great if you have a good memory but doing it and applying it to situations is far more satisfying, especially when you manage to successfully achieve something (no matter how small, like 'routing between VLANs'). Great feeling!
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try using different resources for studying to compound the learning and keep you interested as opposed to just reading all day. I've been using the Chris Bryant CCNA videos on udemy.com which I like a lot (only $44, sometimes cheaper). INE.com has a good video lecture available too, but is based off the previous test I think so it might be missing some of the updated topics for ICND1 and ICND2.
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for the input... I have so many things going on that I need to get accomplished. Studying for my CCNA is just one immediate goal of many.

I do like the idea of labbing and using different resources. I've already purchased some equipment - just need to get going with that as well.

As for my personal motivation, I'm doing it to enhance my career.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lab with real equipment if possible otherwise GNS3 or the simulator you can get through Pearson was actually pretty good too. I went for Network+ first because they cover a lot of the same stuff but when I got to Cisco's command line interface (CLI) it was easier because I knew the concepts. If you can only "study" on the weekends, I would read/lab on the weekends and review your notes throughout the week. Honestly if you are not reviewing some of this stuff throughout the week you will easily forget what you learned. Flash cards can be helpful on syntax and the information. Cisco exams are no joke and require a good amount of preparation.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    The_Expert wrote: »
    As for my personal motivation, I'm doing it to enhance my career.

Then just create that goal in your mind. That shiny certificate, that big fat door that will open itself upon achieving it, the respect you'll gain from your colleagues etc

Be careful not to overdo it though, you might feel like you're taking on too many things at once.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    The biggest thing for you to understand OP is that it is a marathon, not a race. Take your time, make sure you understand the technology, in the end taking the hard approach will make you a better Engineer and easily stand out amongst the wannabe engineers that have infested the profession.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, you got this! Feel free to search/post any questions you have on here regarding topics that just don't make sense... Trust me, you'll find a few ;)