Options

Physical Tools of the Trade

itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Holding a few networking certs and in the process of looking for work.

I'm looking to assemble a list of physical tools a professional should have in the networking field, along the CCNA and N+ level.

I'll need a USB to serial converter to connect to rollover cables that works with windows7 because the two I have from prolific only work on XP!

Perhaps a kit to cut and crimp cables, that sort of thing.

Let me know your suggestions and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    bdepak.003bdepak.003 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know much about N+ but for CCNA

- you can use simulation tool "Packet Tracer" which you can download it from web or directly from Cisco website.
    - If you wish to practise crimping - the best place to go is ebay - purchase RJ45 connector, crimping tool and buy straight through cable and if you wish you can crimp it to cross-over (colour code search in web).
    - USB to serial cable serial cable - purchase USB to RS232 connector (USB 2.0 TO RS232 Serial DB9 9 PIN Adapter Cable GPS PDA UK | eBay)

Cheers,

Deepak
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Love my Keyspan:
    Amazon.com: Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter, PC, MAC, supports Cisco Break Sequence: Electronics

Works not only with Cisco and other network devices via console port, but servers as well (ILOM port)
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The one thing I could NOT live without is my tone generator and cable tracer.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I know it's sold out on Amazon but if you can find the Sony 10 ft Mini USB Playstation cable it is absolutely perfect for working on the newer switches with USB console ports such as the 2960X, 3560X, G2 ISR etc. Very handy to have if you don't want to deal with a laptop/crash cart.

Amazon.com: USB Cable Single - Playstation 3: Video Games
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itgl72 wrote: »
    Holding a few networking certs and in the process of looking for work.

I'm looking to assemble a list of physical tools a professional should have in the networking field, along the CCNA and N+ level.

I'll need a USB to serial converter to connect to rollover cables that works with windows7 because the two I have from prolific only work on XP!

Perhaps a kit to cut and crimp cables, that sort of thing.

Let me know your suggestions and thanks in advance.

About usb2serial adapter, if you need the one that works out-of-the-box _on_everything_ (Windows, Linux, OSX, etc.) go for FTDI chipset. No drivers needed and full hardware handshaking. Chipi-X from Farnell would be my choice, since it's one of cheapest you can get.

About network cables: you should buy few sets of crossover and straight UTP cables for lab equipment (if you go for lab). Don't crimp them if they need to work 100%. As for the crimp tools, I bought HT-2008R pliers years ago, great quality. That, and a good UTP cable cutter, and you are ready to go ;).
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    When I go to a client for a network analysis I never leave without:
    -Serial to USB cable + Driver CD
    -Serial Cables (Male to Male and Male to Female)
    -Laptop with Wireshark
    -Network Tap
    -Network Cable tester (RJ11, RJ45)
    -Crimpers + RJ45,RJ11 ends
    -Screwdrivers
    -Label Maker
    -Fiber Cleaning kit + Fiber tester kit + Spare bulkheads of each sort
    -1 crossover and 1 straight-through
    -Colored Pens, Paper
    -Coffee Mug + MP3 Player and headphones (Yes this goes a long way)
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Are you looking to go self-employed? Or short-term contracts? If not once you get hired I'm sure the company will provide you with this, or you could get them to buy it for you. ;)
  • Options
    Are you looking to go self-employed? Or short-term contracts? If not once you get hired I'm sure the company will provide you with this, or you could get them to buy it for you. ;)

For now, I just want to have some stuff to do around the house. My main goal, is to work somewhere, that offers what we need.

However, at home as my short term goal I want to be able to get into my two switches and two routers, and work with Ethernet cable. I need to fabricate a patch panel actually for my small rack, and I have not done that so it will be good practice. Ive made plenty of ethernet cable over the years, but no longer have the needed tools.

Also, really need to nail down a Serial to USB cable that is not PROLIFIC, maybe they are fine for others, but Im done searching for drivers on that thing. I see what WilyOne and JoseJimenez have posted and will take a look.
  • Options
    human_abstracthuman_abstract Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tools I use for just about any network job:

-Fluke tone generator and inductive amplifier set
    -Equipment to terminate Cat5 cable
    -Laptop and console cable to log into network devices
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was working infrastructure and running cables and installing drops, I used to always carry a Gerber MP (multi-plier) 600, a small flashlight, and a laser to trace fiber connections.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is an interesting question. It would be nice to have some experience with tools used in the real world.

Is it common for a networking tech to use their own tools?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    This is an interesting question. It would be nice to have some experience with tools used in the real world.

Not usually, some of these tools are really expensive. I do know some people that have their own tools because the equipment provided at work is crap. Private consultants usually have their own tools.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Got this ball rolling, ordered a CHIPI-X10.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

If you are a W2 Employee, your employer should provide any tools you will need. OTOH, 1099 Consultants have to provide their own tools. I used to do 1099 work and some of the tools required for some jobs were quite expensive [and frequently unnecessary, but on a standard list of required tools put in every work order - e.g. Why would I need a cable certifier with printing capability to rack and stack and connect some patch cables?] limiting what jobs I could take.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Screwdriver for racking kit?
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414

Not if they are an employee of a company, you wouldn't expect a typist to bring their own kit, or a salesperson to buy their own stuff etc if they want you to do the job properly the tools should be provided as such.

EDIT: Though as above I do have my own toolkit. An essential thing for anyone in IT.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    HP_Guy wrote: »
    Screwdriver for racking kit?

Better make it a battery powered drill type with a tension limiter. And, if you are doing rack and stack work - wire ties, velcro, label maker, and plenty of extra rack screws are good to have.