Options

Question about negociating pay

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it bad if you lie to the hiring manager on how much you made at your last job?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Yes. If they ever discover that you lied your professional integrity could be jeopardized.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes.

I usually say something along the lines of "you can't place a monetary amount on the value of the experience/environment/work and life balance/etc." and sidestep the question. Shortly after that I tell that the minimum I'm looking for in my next job.
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, that depends. There are numerous ways to answer that question.

From a moral/ethical standpoint, one might say that it is wrong to lie about such a thing because you are starting the relationship off with a possible employer based on a lie. If you feel uncomfortable about answering honestly, whether because you don't like the honest answer or think it could hurt your chances of getting what you want there, you could always just say that you would prefer not to answer or give a more abstract or non-committal answer (e.g. "It varied over my time there" or "Close to six figures").

From a legal standpoint, unless you are undergoing some special form of scrutiny (ie: government clearance check), then you are under no obligation to tell them the truth. I don't know if it is a legal requirement under the latter situation, but from what I know you shouldn't lie about ANYTHING for those.

From a general standpoint, I think it's safe to assume that many/most people either flat out lie or embellish what they made. An employer might even assume this is the case which could be a bad thing if you were honest. On the flip side, if you asked the interviewer "what is the absolute most you would be willing to pay me?", do you think they would answer that question honestly? I like to think of the hiring process as a two-way street. Both parties have something to offer and something to gain (ideally) from the other, so it's best to go in as equals looking to see if it's a good fit for all. However, depending on the circumstances, the applicant might be a bit more desperate (which you shouldn't let be known....) which makes negotiating a bit more difficult for them. In the end, it's all a negotiation. The employer is asking because they want to get an idea of what you are looking for money wise, how much (or little) you will take and what your value was to another company.

All in all, it's kind of a crappy question to ask. I've interviewed many people and never once asked it. I have asked how much the applicant was looking for, but I always felt past salary was a bad question to ask because it can create an uncomfortable situation (hence you asking the question).
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I always state this;

"I wish not to discuss my current salary right now but I will state that with the skills I have and experience, I am looking for this "insert range here"