Options

I need help with interviewing skills

JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I currently have 4 years experience in the IT industry and have worked for my current employer 3 years. I took my current job to get my career going, but it's an hour from home where all my family and friends live. I've had lots of interviews, but nobody will say yes. My resume gets a lot of attention and I get frequent calls from recruiters. I've been searching for a job for over a year now, and It is beginning to feel hopeless...HELP!!!

Comments

• Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Well your getting the calls so your resume is probably not the problem. Unless your getting calls for jobs that you don't want or don't really qualify for the position?

Is there a point during the interview process that you feel you are dropping the ball?
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    JamesRF wrote: »
    Hi,

I currently have 4 years experience in the IT industry and have worked for my current employer 3 years. I took my current job to get my career going, but it's an hour from home where all my family and friends live. I've had lots of interviews, but nobody will say yes. My resume gets a lot of attention and I get frequent calls from recruiters. I've been searching for a job for over a year now, and It is beginning to feel hopeless...HELP!!!

I feel the same way man (2 and a half years at current job, almost 5 years in IT, but NO certs), do you have any CERTS? I feel like that is in the way of me going from help desk into System Admin, I am going to work on my net+ and then MCSA and hopefully thatll open more doors for me
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In addition to what the above posters have said, what do you say when they ask you if you have worked with a certain technology? What do you say when asked - If you dont know the answer to something, what would you do? You've got to word your answers right, dont lie or anything but you've got to say things like - If I dont know the answer to something, I'll say I dont know the answer but I sure know how to go about finding the answer. Get the drift?

And yeah, get yourself a cert or two to make you stand out.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be confident, speak to your skills.

Before going into the interview, review the job description and practice questions you feel you may stumble on if asked. When answering, look them in the eyes and be sure of your answers. Avoid stammers like "uh" "I dunno" etc. Don't forget your "yes sirs" and "ma'ams."

They've called you in for a reason and have some interest in you, so don't be intimidated.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What Essendon said.

Back when I was doing a lot of interviews, one in particular stands out in my mind. In addition to a phone and in-person interview, we had candidate take a short technical assessment quiz. Nothing advanced and nothing tricky. Basically, it was designed to see what people knew over a wide array of topics (networking, Linux, etc.) without putting them on the spot in an interview. Again, very basic stuff (What is the differences between TCP and UDP?). It was also not a pass/fail - we hired people who did poorly and didn't hire people who aced it.

Anyway, one person came in, did OK in the interview and pretty well on the test. But this was a support role and we had concerns about his communication skills. He was on the 'maybe' pile at the end of the interview. Anyway, back to the point... He missed maybe 5 questions on the quiz. The next morning I received an email from him. It was the standard "thank you for your time" post-interview email, but he also said that he researched the questions he missed, found the answers, and included them at the bottom. The fact that he actually remembered what they were and took the time to do that was very impressive and made him stand out as a very good candidate. He might have been hired anyway, but that put him at the top of the list. We ended up hiring him and he became one of the best techs we had.

So yes - you need to stand out. But in a good way.
  • Options
    Also, in addition to researching the position, research the company. When it's time to ask questions or chit-chat, bring up things you read. Something like "I see you just released [new product/service]. That sounds really interesting, blah blah blah." Make it a sincere question. It will show the interviewer that you actually have an interest in the company and aren't just checking off a box.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ Ditto.

Always have questions to ask when the opportunity presents itself. Go through the job description and come up with some questions that you might not be able to answer from it.

During my last interview, I had my portfolio open for the two interviewers to see. One half had the job description with highlights, notes, and underlined portions. The other half was a legal pad I had with questions and notes taken during the interview. When the time came to ask, I went through them and checked them off once they were answered. They stated that they were impressed by that.

Questions will help show a genuine interest in the position and how it pertains or affects you.

My first interview after I got out of the military was a bomb because I didn't ask any. IIRC, I said, when asked if I had any questions, "Uuuum, no, not at this moment."

I received an email informing me to proceed for a re-interview and was explicitly asked to have questions this time around.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Show up prepped - multiple copies of your resume well presented in clear report binder things, get it printed on decent paper at Fedex office or a print shop. Dress well, a suit that fits well is usually the way to go. Be well groomed - shaved, fresh haircut. Have a nice portfolio/binder with a couple nice pens to take notes during the interview, along with stuff you have already have written down from your research on the company and some questions. Don't be afriad to say "I don't know" when you don't know the answer, rather then just trying to make something up. Keep up with current trends / news in IT, so you can maybe have a few side conversations about "How adobe got owned", or some new microsoft news, etc. Work on turning questions into conversations, rather then just simple answers.
  • Options
    And remember - making it to the interview stage is (generally) the hardest part. You've already succeeded in that. You've jumped through the HR hurdles and you represent on paper like a possible candidate.

While the interview will be partly to confirm that you actually do posses the skills you claim to have, it's also primarily a way for the management and other employees who take part to get to know you. The impact of this varies with the company and position, but I can guarantee you that every interviewer is thinking to themselves "Can I work with this person? Can I see this person working here? Will I get along with this person".

So it's just as important to come across as a good person as it is a good technician/engineer/etc. There have been countless times where a post-interview company discussion went "Well, Candidate B isn't as qualified as Candidate B, but I think Candidate B would be a better fit here." Be that better fit.
  • Options
    I was not expecting this many replies! I've had a couple very odd questions come up in interviews...

1. When using toilet paper, do you pull from the top or bottom of the roll(yes they really asked me that)...I answered"neither I take it off the roller and roll it in my hand...
    2. If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be? "A fridge"...
    Hard to tell if they are just toying with me, are twisted, or if its some question to gauge my mental state

I don't have any certs, but a coworker very kindly gave me a copy of a dvd with videos for taking the Network+ exam which I would love to get.At this point in my career would an A+ help or would Network+ be better use of money?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They are twisted as hell then! I personally hate those questions, the kind Google used to ask - How many turtles can fit on a rock? Or why is manhole's lid round. I've heard they've done away with those questions these days, and rightly so. It's okay to gauge a candidate's mental abilities, but not with such stupid questions. It's much better to be engage the candidate in conversations, technical or otherwise. That's the way to judge someone's thought process, not by asking them why ants were tiny or something equally weird. I was at an interview at Symantec and they asked me that question, I just replied - because nature meant them to be that way.

I reckon they just want to see how you'd react to a unfamiliar situation, that's all. You seem to have answered them just as a sane person would. Dont think too much about it. Keep pluggin' away, you'll land a job some day soon enough.

After 4 years in IT, I'd be working on a Microsoft/Cisco/Citrix cert. The A+/N+ are entry level and you aint entry level. What do you do on a daily basis?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    1. When using toilet paper, do you pull from the top or bottom of the roll(yes they really asked me that)...I answered"neither I take it off the roller and roll it in my hand...

That's none of your business would have been my reply... which is probably why I'm currently unemployed.

When it comes to interview "skills", the number one factor is probably how likeable you are since, presumably, the other candidates they called have similar credentials. Can you learn how to be more likeable? Maybe, but it's probably more fair to call it a talent instead of a skill.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Questions that are unique/obscure/creative are designed to get you to demonstrate your thought process. Not just your answer but a "why" you chose/arrived at that answer. Generally an employer wants to gauge your creativity, see how you arrived at an answer, determine if you are quick on your feet, etc. To be honest, interviewing is a nervous position to be in for some, so this question can also be used to set you at ease and let them see the real you.

Remember, when you're applying for a job you are also applying to be part of a team. Whether it's with other IT pros, or the manager, whatever the case...they are looking at your soft skills also, not just your technical skills. They want to know that you'll be a good fit for their existing team (if they have one) or someone they can work with on a daily basis. A sense of humor (controlled), confidence in the interview and a smile can go a long way in the interviewing process. Good luck! Plenty of internet available advice on the interview process. It really is a developed skill!

And agree with Essendon, aim higher than a A+/N+ at this point in your career unless you are targeting a job that specifically requires it....and even then....higher would be better!
  • Options

2. If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be? "A fridge"...
    Hard to tell if they are just toying with me, are twisted, or if its some question to gauge my mental state

Are you freakin kidding me, I could understand number 2 as thats probably more of a critical thinking but number 1 seems outrageous... I think if you've had that many years, probably Net+ i am in a similar situation as you experience usually outweigh's certs
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    Or why is manhole's lid round.

Geometry. A round lid will not fit down the hole it's covering.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    I heard from a friend who works at Microsoft who said their all day interview process is filled with these types of questions and activities from end to end and is designed to simulate a "long stressful day at work". Evidently they also want to gauge how you handle it and if you can maintain your composure all day long, so that at the end of a real "long stressful day at work" you don't snap and make poor decisions. Quite an interesting concept really....
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BGraves wrote: »
    I heard from a friend who works at Microsoft who said their all day interview process is filled with these types of questions and activities from end to end and is designed to simulate a "long stressful day at work". Evidently they also want to gauge how you handle it and if you can maintain your composure all day long, so that at the end of a real "long stressful day at work" you don't snap and make poor decisions. Quite an interesting concept really....

Interesting, but I'm not sure if it's really valid or not. I mean an interview that runs for 8 hours would be worlds more stressful than a day of work.
  • Options
    ^Danielm7
    You know, I'm not sure if that is really the case either but he did say it was an all day interview. Obviously not all of it was sitting around being interviewed by someone all day long, I think he had breaks, had times to work out puzzles on his own, and they made sure to go out to eat with him during the interview for dinner and see what he was like outside of "the office"...

From what I understand, that is pretty typical of the "higher end" IT companies that are really looking to get the best possible applicant but of course, second hand knowledge. Anyone here have first hand knowledge of grueling interview processes for IT related positions?
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    BGraves wrote: »
    ^Danielm7
    You know, I'm not sure if that is really the case either but he did say it was an all day interview. Obviously not all of it was sitting around being interviewed by someone all day long, I think he had breaks, had times to work out puzzles on his own, and they made sure to go out to eat with him during the interview for dinner and see what he was like outside of "the office"...

From what I understand, that is pretty typical of the "higher end" IT companies that are really looking to get the best possible applicant but of course, second hand knowledge. Anyone here have first hand knowledge of grueling interview processes for IT related positions?

I had a 6-hour interview that included every director in a company one on one, HR and IT management. The worst part? -This was for a Desktop Support position.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gbdavidx

I think I disagree. I kinda like the question. Depending on how you answer the question can speak a lot for your personality.. I think I would be more attracted to someone who would answer the question like:

"haha.. I don't think I've ever been asked that. Well, I take off of the top if that helps you any."

vs

"um... does it matter what I do in the bathroom... or does it matter where I take off of?"

You can tell answer #1 shows a lighter, intriguing personality that is looking into the dynamics of the question, vs immediate combativeness and disagreement. I think that could show a lot of the person.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a second interview with HR one time and the first question was ... So what shows are you watching? I said, Dexter. She says...ummm, the guy that murders people?? She judged me for that. Afterwards I said to myself, at least I didnt say Breaking Bad. ...ummm the guy that cooks meth??
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »
    Geometry. A round lid will not fit down the hole it's covering.
    Also less material making the cover cost less to make.
  • Options
    Well your getting the calls so your resume is probably not the problem. Unless your getting calls for jobs that you don't want or don't really qualify for the position?

Is there a point during the interview process that you feel you are dropping the ball?

I just feel like I'm stuck between being truthful and lying/overselling my skills and trying to be too friendly vs being quiet calm and reserved...
    I've started bringing a resume in a folder but I haven't thought to bring a pen and paper for writing down notes.
    What "soft skills" are important? What are "soft skills" anyway?

It seems like 3-4 years back it was easy, but now something has changed with interviews...
  • Options
    Mishra wrote: »
    gbdavidx

I think I disagree. I kinda like the question. Depending on how you answer the question can speak a lot for your personality.. I think I would be more attracted to someone who would answer the question like:

"haha.. I don't think I've ever been asked that. Well, I take off of the top if that helps you any."

vs

"um... does it matter what I do in the bathroom... or does it matter where I take off of?"

You can tell answer #1 shows a lighter, intriguing personality that is looking into the dynamics of the question, vs immediate combativeness and disagreement. I think that could show a lot of the person.

It's a highly inappropriate question to ask someone you just met. In real life, you don't ask people you haven't established a strong rapport with questions like that. However, as soon as you are in an interview situation for a job you are apparently expected to immediately be willing to answer whatever they ask. It's frankly embarrassing for everyone involved.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Soft skills are, in essence, people skills. Those intangible "things" that HR wants in order to lessen the possibility that someone will drive the customer away.

My most recent interview, for a desk side support job, included about six questions that I had no definitive answers for. My IT experience is fixing computers and working in a NOC. I looked each of the interviewers in the eye, said I have never experienced that in an enterprise setting, but would probably try "this or that". At the end of the interview, I was told that they liked my answers, my desire to learn (which I emphasized a few times), and the way I interacted with them. I had my question sheet out, though they answered every one of the questions during the course of the interview (which I mentioned when they asked me if I had any questions for them). Each of these things was huge, in their eyes. They said they could teach a willing person the technical side of the job, but they couldn't teach good soft skills. Of course, it helped that I had done some of the things they asked about, just more in the home user context. I'm also highly proficient, technically, and have honed my communications skills over a twenty-two year military career, which helped to convey my technical ability.

One caveat to keep in mind: I worked a ten hour night shift before the interview. I drove to the site, got there about an hour and a half early, parked in the wrong lot, and took about a forty-five minute nap. So, to have aced such an interview was a major victory, in its own right.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fredrikjj

Which is why it is the perfect question... Speaking in the mindset of a potential interviewer, I feel that if you are honestly offended by that question enough that it would make you want to move on, then that is probably a good thing for me. I need people that are a little more open and less sensitive to minor things like a personality challenging.

Now that said, I wouldn't actually use this question in an interview. I do think it is a little too strange for my taste. But I don't think I would really care if someone asked me... It's just toilet paper. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote: »
    fredrikjj

Which is why it is the perfect question... Speaking in the mindset of a potential interviewer, I feel that if you are honestly offended by that question enough that it would make you want to move on, then that is probably a good thing for me. I need people that are a little more open and less sensitive to minor things like a personality challenging.

Now that said, I wouldn't actually use this question in an interview. I do think it is a little too strange for my taste. But I don't think I would really care if someone asked me... It's just toilet paper. :)

Well, I'm not offended by the question in the moral sense, but the fact that it's asked and that I'm expected to give an answer would annoy me. There's a big difference between those things in my opinion. In real life I would probably give an answer though, and move on, like most other people. I'm dumb, but not dumb enough to lose a job over an argument about the validity of a question.
  • Options
    Bigmacattack7Bigmacattack7 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I liked the two questions. I am not sure what their philosophy or goal of the questions but I think it could gauge your reaction.. which could possibly give them an insight on how you would work under pressure or a not-so-friendly customer. I prefer unorthodox interviews where they ask you philosophical questions. There is nothing worse than a cut and dry boring interview where you can't impart any of your personality into.
  • Options
    I'm sorry if it is a no-no to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to update.

At the end of October/early November I got a call about a job in my hometown. I went it and nailed the interview, and about a week after I got a call that I got the job. I was so happy to move back home! I've been working at the job since then and I appreciate all the encouragement from everyone.
  • Options
    whats the job?!?!?