Ways to study while waiting for a book, and how many books for that matter?

ackmondualackmondual Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently waiting up on delivery of the Gibson, Darril book from Amazon (probably another 5 days), and in the meantime, just reading up the sample pages posted on there from other CompTIA Security+ book (the Conklin one) and going through posts in this forum. Any other resources to use in the meantime?

Also, I'm wondering how many books and other study materials of you have gone through to pass. I'm guessing this is highly dependent on how well you learn, etc.? I'd reckon someone who already knows enough can just go ahead and purchase a voucher right away and do just fine. On the other end, I've read here that others got 2 to 3 books, CD-ROM material, and perhaps even additional testing sources. The latter may have been overkill (from the info available, some of them sounded like they were fine anyways), but I suspect they would rather be overprepared than underprepared.

I myself have some basic computer security knowledge (e.g. basic usage and what the following are used for... firewalls, anti-virus programs, how port #s have meanings and how they're grouped by function, some social engineering cases, etc.), but upon taking a practice exam, only got 66% (20 out of 30). I was going to start with the Gibson/Darril book and just go from there. Will take all of the practice exams in there, and perhaps buy another book if I feel I need it, and nothing else changes. Will also supplement preparation of the performance questions if I'm feeling I will end up needing more work there.

Comments

• jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Professor Messer videos on Youtube seem to be pretty popular.

I'd watch those and take notes while you wait for your material to come in.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums. In general, for any certification, it's recommended that you use more than one resource. That said, I've heard from many people that have used only the book you mention and have passed successfully from it. While waiting for the book, you might like to check out some blogs on Security+.

Good luck.
  • ackmondualackmondual Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I thought Amazon had a feature where when you purchase a physical book, they give you a complimentary digital copy right away. I guess they either discontinued this, or it was only for Amazon Prime members.
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums. In general, for any certification, it's recommended that you use more than one resource. That said, I've heard from many people that have used only the book you mention and have passed successfully from it. While waiting for the book, you might like to check out some blogs on Security+.

Good luck.
    heh.. and I was just going to ask if you could provide any links icon_silent.gif
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    ackmondual wrote: »
    heh.. and I was just going to ask if you could provide any links icon_silent.gif
    It isn't appropriate for me to post these links here but you can search on Google for "Security+ blog" or "Get Certified Get Ahead blog".

Good luck.