Options

Sap?

Hello all!

Anyone work with SAP? Got a relative who is thinking about jumping from Support to SAP, and says he can make pretty good cash.
He is thinking about doing training for about 3 months (some intense course he found online) and then says he is going to try and be a consultant then hopefully find a permanent position somewhere. He says his training program can find him gigs, and starting hourly salary is above $40/ hr. Almost seems to good to be true to me.

Anyone have knowledge on working with SAP (any particular modules, like HR or HANA)? Any opinion on the software/company, etc.?

Thanks!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That sounds like a disaster no offense. Most people who I know and I know quite a few who work specifically within the SAP ERP have had experience within the specific industry the ERP is being leveraged. For instances HR representatives learn the HR module and finance and accounting learn the FICO modules. One of the companies I worked for used the MM Material Management module. Most of the analyst who supported that module had worked in the industry in the role as a material manager or procurement manager. If you are talking about a support/design role like BASIS or an ABAP developer I don't think they have much of a shot at that either. It's really a timing thing. One thing that can help you get into SAP is heavy experience in that industry. It's critical to know the business and how the tool is supposed to operate within that environment. No way I believe for one minute a 3 month training course can prepare you for an SAP consultant position and quite frankly no way they would hire that individual. The only credible training I have see in the US is from engineering schools like Missouri S & T and some university in Michigan. Not MSU or U of M. These Universities add on another 9 - 12 credit hours to allow you to specialize in SAP. My background with SAP was building user roles for all the prod, sandbox, warehousing environments. I also did level 2 support making sure the Unix boxes passed health checks and kept up on the services etc. I think the best opportunity for your relative is to join a company which is highly entwined with SAP and move up the ranks there.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Oh yeah, I spent the last five years of my career working with SAP at a Fortune 100 and there is alot of money to be made! I supported the WM, R/3, APO, did some EM EDI, and config work and it is a very lucrative field, especially if you don't mind being a contractor. I wasn't a contractor but worked very closely with them. Check out IBM, they do alot of consulting work with companies and assist with bringing SAP to companies. IBM is always looking for different skill levels and is a great on hiring fresh out of college grads to do that kind of work. I've seen it with my own eyes man, SAP is a great way to get in the door at many places. Oracle was also looking for SAP folks not long ago, I've moved over to the more traditional InfoSec path myself though. But mannnnn did I learn alot in that SAP world.

P.S. You kinda gotta take users on this site with a grain of salt. Alot of these guys are on some strictly networking shat and don't seem to care (or realize) that there are other sides of IT as oppose to just getting a CCNA, a bunch of other certs, and doing the switch/hub/NOC thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for all the responses.

@N2IT -- thanks for the link, but I am pretty sure that is not it.

My relative found an Indian company locally that seems to be able to train within 3 months and then place people. I think it is shady, but he is adamant about doing it. I am trying to pull the place out of him but he hasn't provided it as of yet. I guess I'll see if it works for him and, if it does, I might check it out.

I guess we will see!!
    N2IT wrote: »
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    I try to be as straight as possible so if I come off harsh I apologize. SAP is very hard to get into in the US. You are contending against others with VISA's and then you have the industry experts in their particular field, example manufacturing. I hope it works for him I tried for years to get in and it never came to fruition. You never know though...... One part that scares me is the cost of these courses. They are usually EXPENSIVE.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will definitely pass along the info, and hopefully he takes heed, or at least is alert if things don't seem quite right. I figure anything 6 figures in IT definitely would require a lot of work, dedication, experience, knowledge, certs, etc and he needs to know this too!
    N2IT wrote: »
    I try to be as straight as possible so if I come off harsh I apologize. SAP is very hard to get into in the US. You are contending against others with VISA's and then you have the industry experts in their particular field, example manufacturing. I hope it works for him I tried for years to get in and it never came to fruition. You never know though...... One part that scares me is the cost of these courses. They are usually EXPENSIVE.
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    "Business Analysts" can make major major bank. "BUT" LMAO @ a 3 month program making someone worth $83,000yr

*Edit* I'll be nice
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have been contacted a couple of times about being trained to be an SAP Basis admin. There is a shortage of this skill set in the US currently. In my case, having Active Directory and Windows experience was a baseline the recruiter was looking for being trained to be an SAP administrator. The end game for me wouldn't have resulted in an increase in pay so I didn't entertain the idea.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    @ BL This has been several years ago so the market can and will change, but the ABAP developers were billing at over 175 an hr in the Midwest and some of the analyst and project managers were making 125 an hr. I'm not sure about the BASIS admins.