Do you have a MIS degree?

celticsfan89celticsfan89 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you have a MIS degree what job did you eventually land in? with details on what that job entails

Comments

• UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    Hi Celtics Fan,

I have a BS in MIS and landed two internships. One was closer to Help desk/Jr Sys Admin and the other was DBA intern. I was offered full time for both and took the Jr DBA position. I then finished my MS in MIS and I am now in a Sr DBA role.

Here are the typical jobs that my friends had, from each BS/MS degree.

BS in MIS possible jobs:
    1. Business Analyst
    2. Help Desk/Low level Sys Admin
    3. Consultant (IT, System)
    4. Network Admin
    5. Data Analyst
    6. DBA
    7. Tech Support

MS in MIS:
    1. IT Consultant (Majority)
    2. Project Manager
    3. Business Analyst/Specific Program Manager
    4. DBA

Hope this helps!
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    This was in the course of two years after obtaining my MIS degree:

Desktop Support / Jr. Sys Admin
    -Regular support work with some exchange, citrix and account management.

Systems Administrator
    -Heavy on Exchange, AD, Cisco Phone/Video, some networking, lots of VMware and storage.

Systems Engineer(Big Data)
    -Run and operate multi-petabyte 24/7 systems, assist with design and implementation of new systems and support large scale BI tools.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Graduated last year with MIS degree. Currently working as a network administrator in a medium size business. Pretty much work exclusively with Cisco, and network monitoring tools
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Graduated in '05 with a degree in MIS... took a couple years to find a job but been with the same company for the last 6 now. Spent 2 years as Jr Support Tech, about 3 as a Sr Support tech and the last year as a Sys Admin.

Pretty much went help desk, then support team leader and now in the admin role heavy on AD and Citrix with some Exchange mixed in. Trying to get some exposure to VMWare and Storage as well. Pondering a move out of the corporate structure towards a position with a VAR but not sure I have the experience yet to make that leap.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • celticsfan89celticsfan89 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok awesome. I don't want to do computer stuff forever so i'm looking for a degree that will give me more options towards more business stuff or at least give me more options than just doing computer stuff forever. Do you feel Like having a MIS degree will give me a lot of flexibility when it comes to jobs and be able to get jobs that aren't always techy stuff???
  • celticsfan89celticsfan89 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like if i wanted to social media, product marketing, product support analyst, QA. Do you feel like a MIS degree would land me any of these jobs?
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    A MIS degree itself isn't going to land you any job. The knowledge you gain within the degree can be tailored towards potential areas you wish to go in but it strongly depends on the degree program, how much effort you put in and what you personally get out of it. This degree will leave you open to go a million different directions but set you up for none specifically.
  • UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    QA - yes MIS is a good degree for this.
    Marketing - not really
    Social Media - not too much unless you are referring to Big Data.
    Product Support Analyst - maybe, depends on experience.

As Akari said, MIS degree is not going to get you these jobs on its own. Experience, education, and certifications will help pave your path.