Options

BCNP vs CCNP

TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
Have any of you ever taken the BCNP? If so, how does it compare to the CCNP? Are there simulations on the exam or just concepts?

I took the BCNE a few months back, and it was a walk in the park compared to CCNA. However, I'm not sure what to expect with the BCNP. I really don't want to spend ANY time studying for it, but my employer is pushing BCNP on me since we're a multivendor shop.

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't even know what a BCNP is.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Brocade Certified Network Professional.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Is your employer paying for the training? Are you going to be studying on their time?

Personally I have things that I want to learn on my time and I would not give that up.

On the other hand, the protocols do not change. STP, OSPF, and all other industry standards stays the same and your really not learning anything new, but how to deploy it this particular vendor.
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    They paid for our BCNE training, but it was worthless. It was a 5 hour bootcamp with a silly "in a nutshell guide". So, I'm guessing the BNCP training is similar. And if it is, then they're still going to want me to pass the test, which means I'll need MORE THAN the 1 day bootcamp to do it.
    It's really ridiculous.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I thought Brocade was more to do with storage...?
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Brocade does mostly storage from what I hear, but where I worked at we had a huge % of the network made up of brocade/foundry routers/switches... I'd say roughly 500 devices. They have some pretty serious ISR's as well. They have really expanded their avenues since they started.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't want to spend ANY time studying for it I would say it is not the correct certification for you.
  • Options
    Mccaula718Mccaula718 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know if you're asking is one is better than the other or if you mean the challenge level. Obviously CCNP is better because most companies have Cisco. I assume if you have a ccnp, you can easily get the Brocade equivalent. Just figure out the command differences

If your company is paying for it, why not take it. It's going to make you more well rounded if you decide to leave your current company. Brocade is starting to get a lot bigger because they are a lot cheaper than Cisco
    Country's largest 4-year university expels Cisco, saves $100 million