Options

6to4 Tunnels

CCNA_RicCCNA_Ric Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I understand a 6to4 tunnel is used for multipoint tunneling, IPv6 being the passenger protocol, IPv4 is the transport protocol, if I am correct I believe IGP's are not able to establish neighbor relationships and therefore static routes or MBGP is needed to be able to route traffic across the tunnel. If i understand correctly one of the benefits of 6to4 tunneling is supposed to be scalability, so you can just add hosts or routers without much configuration. Maybe it's just because I have yet to explore the MBGP options yet, but needing to add a static route for every endpoint on the tunnel doesn't seem very scalable to me. Is there something that I am missing? Can anyone elaborate on this topic a little bit more for me, the ROUTE FLG book was very brief on this topic.

EDIT: In what scenarios would you consider using a 6to4 tunnel?

EDIT: just spent the last half hour or so doing 6to4 labs, I think I understand part of my mistake, the ipv6 route 2002::/16 tunnel0 command is all that is needed per router, so there is not too much configuration at all when adding another router. If anyone has anything else to elaborate that would be great.

Comments

• Options
    RT1N17RT1N17 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi CCNA_Ric,

I am currently looking into the same areas of you and I think we could share a few ideas, are you looking into all different kinds of migration techniques or just the 6to4?

Im writing a section analysis about automated 6to4 tunneling and my current understanding of it is; The main advantage of it in comparison to MCT's is that configuration is of much lesser concern. The relay route has to be statically configured however aslong as all of the routers are configured to be a 6to4 router, the tunnel will automatically obtain the end points.

The scalability can be looked into through a video which explains it very well on youtube, this is: Automatic 6to4 Tunnels - YouTube

Is there anything else that you have found?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA_Ric wrote: »

EDIT: In what scenarios would you consider using a 6to4 tunnel?

IPv6 network <> Router <> IPv4 network <> router <> IPv6 network. Basically you core network is still IPv4 and you are changing you edge devices first.