Options

A couple of questions 70-680 & 685

ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
Good Morning!
I am relatively new to the forums here and I would like to start off by saying thank you to all who have posted fantastic training programs.

I am slated to take my 70-680 exam on November 8. I'm really quite nervous. I've read Poulton's book as well as the Microsoft 70-680 book (with errata in hand), I've done as many labs as I have the resources to do, and watched all of LearnSmart's training vidoes.

I still struggle with things I don't have the ability to actively lab: DirectAccess, Windows VPN products, Branch Cache, BitLocker, AND AppLocker to name a few. I have a general idea of how they work and the ones that have labs on TechNet I have done. I pass all of my practice tests, some more than others. I have found errors in the PrepLogic tests and missed questions because the correct answer didn't reflect the questions. (ie. missing a word in the sentence like "not") The ones out of the microsoft book I pass with 90%.

If you could go back to two weeks before you took your test what would you study harder?

Moving forward I am planning on studying for the 70-685 exam. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how I should configure a lab for this test. I have read the sticky and from the amazon reviews of the books none have really said that the books actually helped them pass the exam, but that they were good informational reads.

Thanks in advanced!
--
“Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
2015 Goals: [] 70-410

Comments

• Options
    403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would have studied a lot more on branch cache/direct access. I thought I knew enough. I was WRRRRROOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG.
  • Options
    I polled the 30ish IT people I know outside of the company I work for and absolutely 0 of them use either of those technologies. Sigh, Thanks 403!
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    What you actually USE and what you're TESTED on are TWO DIFFERENT things... or at least in my experience. I too know nobody that actually uses these technologies... but then again my network is rather small in that area.
  • Options
    I failed it with a 680. On a bright point I know what I need to work a lot harder on now. I'll take it again in a couple of weeks.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't sweat it too hard man. I failed the 70-680 twice in a row, so I skipped ahead and passed the 70-685 on the first try. The 680 is just a tough nut to crack.
  • Options
    mikejwhatmikejwhat Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    70-680 was probably the hardest exam I've done. You must have only been like 2 or 3 correct answers away, you should smash it next time. I got loads of branchcache questions in my exam. Sounds like you're doing some good prep.
  • Options
    I'm going to use the 70-685/686 book to study for the areas i didn't do well in. I'm going to spend some time making flash cards, and setup a lab for the tech i don't normally have access to.

I had a ton of questions on two methods, several on wds, and way to many on WSUS and windows update.

Oh and ms virtual academy is offering free second chance vouchers!

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/second-shot.aspx
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I recommend deep diving into Microsoft's own TechNet library. Windows 7 Technical Library Roadmap
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For what it is, it's a very difficult exam. Judging by your score, you should pass it on the next attempt. Good luck.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I passed the 680 with an 850~ but failed the 685 with a 650~... the 685 wasn't hard there were just questions on it that I didn't know the answer to because I don't deal with the Branch Cache or Direct Access technologies that it seems to rely so heavily on for testing. Reliability monitor, Perfmon, VPNs, etc are easy because I use them a lot. Those two techs are tested on with a lot of questions (5 or 6 at least) and I've never used them so trying to support those technologies without ever having used them is a pain.