memory banks: finding chip count required?

superksuperk Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
for the A+ will I need to know how to find out how many memory chips (not merely modules, but the number of total memory chips) required to satisfy the requirements of the computer, specifically to satisfy the needs of the FSB? my book isn't making sense on this.

I believe it says that if there are fewer than one chip per byte of the FSB width then some of the memory chips will store more than one bit per byte of data. That makes sense, but the 1-to-1 idea (which the book only insinuates, btw) doesn't match up with the FSB -to- memory chips ratio listed for some of the examples the book gives. some of the examples have more chips per byte on the FSB. I guess the book just isn't clear on exactly what the requirement is.

Comments

• 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I'll ask you a few questions that will give you an idea of what you should be trying to learn.

Your boss hands you a system, it is running Windows 7 Professional x64 and the motherboard has four DIMM slots and supports DDR3 memory upto a speed of 1600. Dual Channel is NOT supported. The DIMM slots are empty.

How many memory modules and what capacities would you need to satisfy the memory requirements?
    Why does it matter why Dual Channel is not supported?
    What is the "PC" Rating for DDR3 1333 memory?

As for the number of memory chips? If you are talking about the total number of DIPs on a single memory module? The objectives don't say anything about needing to know how many DIPs need to be on a module. "One chip per byte of the FSB width" If I had to take a guess I would say it was trying to say that if you have a 64bit wide bus that you need to fill 64 bits of that bus with modules that will satisfy that.

Most memory modules now are 64bit memory modules, so even one will satisfy the requirements of a 64bit processor now. Previously that was not the case, some memory modules were only 16bit memory modules and having a 32bit processor means you would need at least two. I think that is what the book was trying to say.

If you need any more help or have any other questions feel free to ask!
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your going to granular, nothing to worry about as far as hardware component break downs go. You should know CPU design (what is cache? Where is L1, L2, L3 cache? What type of ram is that? What is TDP?). You should similarly know HDD and SSD design, pros and cons, uses, etc... But knowing how many chips are on a DDR1/2/3 DIMM, no.