Options

Starting out right - moving towards Sys Admin role

SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
I risk getting ahead of myself with this post. My new job starts next week. This will be my first position in the IT world. The job duties are primarily help desk/deskside support. All of the work is on-site.

I understand that it is possible to be stuck in this type of a role. For that reason, I would like to start taking steps to prevent this immediately. Within the month, I will complete the CompTIA triad. My knowledge of advanced configuration in Windows 7/8 is not great. I was considering buying a book for reference to help me in these areas, but I would not plan on spending money on the MSCA: Windows 7. Rather, I would plan on working towards the MSCA: Windows Server 2008. From there, I would plan on working on the CCENT and CCNA.

Would these certifications, MSCA: Windows Server 2008 and CCNA, likely be enough to move me into a Jr. Sys Admin role? This is in addition to a couple of years of work experience. I know that I still need to master desktop support. However, I am truly trying to show initiative and take steps towards a Sys Admin position in the coming years. As a final question, in this role there are no in-house dedicated "networking guys". As this is a contract position, I thought that a CCENT or CCNA by the end of the contract might be an additional incentive to hire me. So, I might consider going down that path first.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Why are you doing the Sec+? If your job doesn't require it, it probably isn't worth the time from what I've heard. Have you considered ITIL? Also, why would you do Server 2008 instead of Server 2012?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would just buy the 70-680 book. Read it, lab it and then not do the exam. Focus on the MCSA and CCNA. I don't recommend the CompTIA exams anymore. If you want to learn the Security+ material than I would just buy the book and read it.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You've definitely got the right mindset....Show that ambition and drive from the start, managers will take notice and you'll go far. It looks like you've got a good plan mapped out, and I think those certs combined with your experience will be more than enough to eventually land you in a Sys Admin role.

Keep your nose to the grindstone, and you'll get where you want to be soon enough!

Good Luck!
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Thank you for all the responses.

Security+ because I set off to finish the CompTIA triad. My desktop support job is very unlikely to have any security-related tasks. However, I think that this certification will help with my overall knowledge of the field. I know that it might be hard to defend spending the money on Security+ and not MSCA: Windows 7.

In any case, I don't believe it will hurt my resume at all. I have few vices when it comes to spending. So, I kind of look at it like most people blow $235 on a few nights out at bars. For that same price, I can have a vendor-neutral certification in an important aspect of the IT field.

Is there a compelling reason not to do the Security+? Any specific reason you don't recommend CompTIA anymore? Like I said, I'm not afraid of spending the money, but if it is honestly not regarded as being an certification to have, I would not be against just studying the material.

Thank you all!
  • Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveFT wrote: »
    Thank you for all the responses.

Security+ because I set off to finish the CompTIA triad. My desktop support job is very unlikely to have any security-related tasks. However, I think that this certification will help with my overall knowledge of the field. I know that it might be hard to defend spending the money on Security+ and not MSCA: Windows 7.

In any case, I don't believe it will hurt my resume at all. I have few vices when it comes to spending. So, I kind of look at it like most people blow $235 on a few nights out at bars. For that same price, I can have a vendor-neutral certification in an important aspect of the IT field.

Is there a compelling reason not to do the Security+? Any specific reason you don't recommend CompTIA anymore? Like I said, I'm not afraid of spending the money, but if it is honestly not regarded as being an certification to have, I would not be against just studying the material.

Thank you all!

The "triad" serves as a general base in IT. It certainly won't hurt you. People's hesitation on here for the CompTIA certs is that they have become somewhat of a "standard." They are considered to be easy certs that only provide you with a general outlook. I think they are perfect for establishing a good foundation. Some people would recommend studying the material, but maybe not wasting your time on the cert. They won't hurt you, by any means. If you have the extra money, do it. If not, learn the material and apply it whenever you can.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Certs are good, but good job performance is bottom line. Soak up as much as you can in a real world scenario - experience is key.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    You need to think about what technology you want to work with. If you want to work in devops or manage infrastructure that hosts web applications you should focus on learning linux. If you want to work with SQL Server and learn about databases and administering or building data warehouses with cubes I would focus on SQL Server. Also, pick up a programming language. Python is a good one to start with and the CCNA is a good cert to have.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Krones wrote: »
    You need to think about what technology you want to work with. If you want to work in devops or manage infrastructure that hosts web applications you should focus on learning linux. If you want to work with SQL Server and learn about databases and administering or building data warehouses with cubes I would focus on SQL Server. Also, pick up a programming language. Python is a good one to start with and the CCNA is a good cert to have.

I will take all of this into consideration. From speaking with others, I believe a reasonable progression to be:

1. Learn Microsoft/Windows for help desk/desktop support
    2. Learn general Microsoft Server admin and basic routing (CCNA)
    3. Linux, Microsoft SQL, virtualization, programming, or whatever other specialties you are interested in

Does this make sense?

After I finish my CCNA and MSCA: Server, I would consider where I could specialize. I have started taking steps to learn basic Linux administration in a web environment. For example, setting up Apache, iptables, installing Python/PHP, etc. I have started learning Python, but I need to mix Linux/Python into a long-term project for learning. In the next couple of months I will try to figure that out. This will be after I become comfortable in the desktop support role.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    That's a great start. Sounds like you are on the right path.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds good to me. You are on the right path dude.
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveFT I admire your hunger and ambition. You have your head in the right place. I would say continue your studying, but dont study something because you think it might be a stepping stone to a position. Study something that fascinates you, something you really enjoy. Everywhere around me people are chirping about Subject Matter Expert this and Subject Matter that. When I first went to college (2000) my professors were telling us that AS/400s were where the big money and the future was. Now? IBM is jettisoning staff from a proprietary siloed dinosaur.

Continue the track that you are pursuing. The Holy Trinity (A+/Net+/Sec+), Server OS, Desktop OS, Cisco Networking. Get familiar with those, see which one you like and head down that road.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/