Didn't get the job! Feeling pretty dumb.

2»

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I'm still in a point in my career which I cant afford to just stand up and GTFO.
    But If I was, maaaan... I would just leave at that point and tell them dont waste my time.
    meh
  • RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep. I wouldn't be in there without first having an idea if we're on the same page as far as salary. I would run far away if a company tried to make me deal with that BS.

I say this now... Who knows, but I may have a different attitude if I was desperate and jobless; however, I still think it's crap.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd unscramble the letters and tell them "screw you".

]

hahaha..that's funny. Then I would have said, 'can you unscramble what I want for a salary, $99,999.99'?
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yikes. Three interviews just for that? I had to take a similar test once but it was online and done at the completion of my initial application. And here I was complaining about spending 2+ hours on it. It was goofy as all get out. I had to quickly assign a letter to a shape that would randomly appear on the screen and had to do so quickly. Can't remember what kind of test it was but they never called me back sooo..... Anyway, sorry to hear about your crappy experience. Have you come across any other prospects?

EDIT: Just realized the OP had put this up in 2013. Haha, never mind.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    they want you to be creative with the network icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Do you look at your poop after you use the toilet?"

The wording was different, but I kid you not this was an actual question on a job interview screening exam I filled out years ago. I believe it was called a Reece assessment. I'm still not sure what the correct answer to that one is.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    geekychick wrote: »
    hahaha..that's funny. Then i would have said, 'can you unscramble what i want for a salary, $99,999.99'?

$9.999999 ? :d
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had to take a Wonderlic test for a job. I took it online prior to the interview then they made me take it again when I got there and they watched me. Then at the start of the interview I met with 3 of my future co-workers then the IT Director. The Director told me flat out that the owners would not spend any money on upgrading anything and are very complacent with how things were. Like I would want to work there after that! A few months later I saw they were advertising for a new Director...lol
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As it was said before I wouldn't want to work there. Could be filled with dry people
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If those scrambled characters were indeed correct, I wonder if the logic reasoning is that since it doesn't unscramble to a fruit or a vegetable, it must be machinery. You can't really create fruit/vegetables, but basically anyone can create machinery and name it what he or she wants.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just an FYI on Wonderlic: I have taken this before and never gave it any thought. I have taken an official IQ test before and did very well. I do well in work and I am generally considered "smart" among my peers and supervisors. I didn't do so hot on the Wonderlic test (not a dummy for sure, but not in the tier that I am accustomed from testing experiences throughout my life). I am not sure it is really all that great of a measure. It is just an odd exam. Maybe it would require some practice tests just to be familiar with the exam style, I don't know. If it is a requirement for you, there isn't much that you can do to avoid it.

The NFL uses Wonderlic to test players and they have stats about different positions. Suprisingly, it isn't quarterbacks that have the highest scores... though they are in 2nd position. It is wide receivers at the top. After reflection, it seems to make sense to me... wide receivers always seem very well spoken when interviewed (not that quarterbacks don't, but compared to a running back, they are leaps and bounds above in speaking ability, generally). They also have to perform the most complex patterns and adjustments in the game, both pre-snap and post-snap.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I moved down to Phoenix I had a few personality test questionnaires for pre-hire at a couple of places. First time I have seen that and I would have to guess it's supposed to weed out the complete imbeciles before wasting a hiring manager's timer?

Anyway, complete waste of time for me. Anyone with common sense knows how to answer those. I suspect those who don't probably won't be applying for a mid-range IT job anyway.

I don't think I could tell someone to eff off but I might walkout and say something along the lines of "I didn't come here to waste your time and I don't appreciate you wasting mine. I'm sure you'll find the right candidate" and politely walk out.
  • LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Just an FYI on Wonderlic: I have taken this before and never gave it any thought. I have taken an official IQ test before and did very well. I do well in work and I am generally considered "smart" among my peers and supervisors. I didn't do so hot on the Wonderlic test (not a dummy for sure, but not in the tier that I am accustomed from testing experiences throughout my life). I am not sure it is really all that great of a measure. It is just an odd exam. Maybe it would require some practice tests just to be familiar with the exam style, I don't know. If it is a requirement for you, there isn't much that you can do to avoid it.

The NFL uses Wonderlic to test players and they have stats about different positions. Suprisingly, it isn't quarterbacks that have the highest scores... though they are in 2nd position. It is wide receivers at the top. After reflection, it seems to make sense to me... wide receivers always seem very well spoken when interviewed (not that quarterbacks don't, but compared to a running back, they are leaps and bounds above in speaking ability, generally). They also have to perform the most complex patterns and adjustments in the game, both pre-snap and post-snap.

Wonderlic... only thing that's good for is to see if a less physical specimen is smart enough to stick around.

And you are right. You can be rusty in these situations. You know, after being an adult. I bet your 10th grade self knocks the Wonderlic out of the park.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Imagine if you were the hiring manager for that job, and HR put your favorite candidate through bait-and-switch BS like this, and he/she walked out the door. I'd be super pissed if HR screwed me like that.

It's BS they asked you to come in to discuss salary and availability but committed a lie of omission by not mentioning the test. That's not an ethical HR department/company you want to work in. They eliminated themselves from a catch like you.

I actually heard Google gives problem solving tests in their interview process, but they're not straight up impossible questions.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS