Questions regarding Certs

DowardDoward Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, so I got my A+ and Net+ back in 2008. Just updated them when I passed my Security+ October 1st.

Basically, work allocated $1200 for me to purchase vouchers for certifications, that's how I got my Security+. They then purchased Server+ for me, and Linux+ (both exams). I requested MCSA SQL Server 2012, and at that point the $1200 was exhausted, so I'm looking to spend the $260 to go ahead and get my MCSE in BI.

Ok, so questions:

What's the next 'level' of certification for Server+?
For the MCSE, is BI or Data Platform more 'in demand' (Florida)?

I have a *very* broad range of skills, in pretty much all aspects of computer engineering. I'm also working on my Bachelors of Science from Florida Institute of Tech in Computer Information Sciences.

Coupled with my past 10 years of experience, I'm hoping to land a better position than I currently have (working at the County, one man IT shop for one of the programs, making a whopping $15/hr working overnights.

Any recommendations for where to 'upgrade' my 'stats' next?

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would think after you passed Server and Linux plus I would take the rest of the money and get an MCSA (might as well spend it). Then buy a nice suit and get a haircut and start applying for jobs. Actually start applying now. That BI cert seems kind of strange do you work in an BI enterprise if so what task do you do? That doesn't make much since IMO. If you want to learn SQL I would look at this. MCSA: SQL Server Certification | Microsoft or add to your MS server knowledge and look at this. MCSA: Windows Server | Microsoft
  • DowardDoward Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently do *everything* - I have a Linux host, with 3 virtualized servers, I handle all the infrastructure / desktop support, the network management (AD / Users / Groups / Permissions / etc), and I do all the programming on our web application, which I've currently built ~56k lines of code, ~150 SQL tables, ~40 stored procedures. I do it all, from the SQL configuration to the front end UI as well as the server / infrastructure support.

The BI interests me because in the field we're in (substance abuse / mental health treatment) we're doing more and more reporting to the various entities that we get funding from. I can see the business intelligence reporting being a big factor in the coming years, so figured why not - MCSE in BI. Plus, it seems that having an MCSE carries some weight.

Ideally I'll combine that with my AS that I should finish in the next 6 months, and then my BS to really set myself up.

*edit* After my Server+, I'm doing my MCSA in SQL Server 2012, then following that up with my Linux+ sometime in March/April.
    Sounds like you already have a plan, not sure why you would asked. Either way good luck on your adventure. BTW I didn't realize FI offered an AS, I thought they offered BS, MS and Doctorate degrees.
    I've got a ton of experience, but until I was handed free vouchers for A+ and Net+ at my old job in 2008, I never put any stock into certifications. Had very much a younger 'I know what i know, and I can prove it, why would I spend the money on some paper?'

Well, I've since learned that you can't get a resume through HR without what amounts to keywords. There is no aspect of the CIS field that appeals to me any more than another, so I haven't bothered to specialize.

Yes, I have a plan, I'm hoping for some input - is it a decent plan? Something someone would recommend changing? Am I going to have a hard time because I have such a broad background? That sort of thing.

I do appreciate the time you're putting into the posts, N2IT - please don't think that I don't!
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my 2 cents, but if I was in your shoes, I would probably just focus on finishing up the AS and BS. I may have missed it but what is the degree in? Given your experience level, I don't think the certifications that you mentioned will be as useful in the short-term if you are seeking new employment.

You mentioned that you do a fair amount of programming. If you are seeking future employment as a programmer, the certifications are not as likely to be relevant. Unless you interest in the certifications is primarily for self-enrichment.
    Honestly with that much experience you don't need certifications. The development and database knowledge alone is huge. Not to mention your administration skills with Linux and the other aspects of IT networking, infrastructure, etc. The only reason why you would need to do a certification would be to just do it. You could apply for architect roles with those skills. Like Paul mentioned I would strictly focus on a degree and then maybe a masters and you would be golden IMO. As Paul mentioned if you want certs for self fulfillment then by all means do that, I did that for a full year. Looking back on it, I wish I could get all my dollars back and time, however not all my certifications are in vain. Some I actually use like my PMI and ITIL ones on a regular basis. I think the BI track would be good just not as good as the bachelors and masters. I currently work in a data shop, we develop products for advertisement companies to make business decisions. Our two architects have no certifications either does our lead database BI manager. None of our Jscript, CSS, C# developers have anything like that. Our QA Analyst don't either, I have some low level tech certs and some framework and process certifications like PMI and ITIL. I think I am the only guy in our IT department who has certifications except for our system admin / desktop tech. He has a few not sure which ones. In that world experience and degrees will pull you through a ton. Going back to our staff the development team database and developers have CS or EE degrees some with MIS masters to go along with their bachelors and on our business side we have two BA's with Actuarial Science degrees and myself with a BS in management and an MBA. Our solutions director has a masters from a top 25 business school and our CIO who is also a program manager has his BS and MS in economics and business intelligence. Leverage the experience it's your biggest asset on paper. ***FYI I am not anti certifications I like them just be smart about them. I really want to get a MS SQL certification (just one though) like you mentioned just enough to get through HR if/when that time comes. ***I really like my current job.
    Absolutely, I've found in the past year or so that not having a Bachelor's degree is killing me getting through HR.

Paul, I'm working on a BS in Computer Information Sciences. I'm asking about the certifications because A) work's paying for it, so seems smart to take advantage of it and B) I'm hoping it will help me in the short term, until I finish my degree.

I'm hoping that my experience + Bachelor's (once complete) will land me a good job interview, and follow that up showing my certifications showing that I'm willing to invest and take the time to learn.

I'll definitely focus on finishing the degree. Hoping to have my AS in the next 6 months, if all goes well. Thanks again!
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're going to be so shocked when you see how much more money you can make elsewhere. The trick will be to present yourself. The certification advice N2 has given you will definitely help, but ultimately your resume and interviewing skills are going to be sufficient. Your broad background is worth easily double what you're making now, to the right employer. I suppose finding the right employer is the other trick.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • The TechnomancerThe Technomancer Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With your work experience, the only reason you'd need a degree or certs is if you're applying for jobs that require it, like academia or the government.

If you're not looking in those two fields, regard the fact that employer is willing to overlook what you've done and cast you aside due to not meeting a checkbox on their wishlist as a blessing that saved you from working for a crappy company that lets rigidity and "this is how we've always done it" stand in the way of solutions and true talent acquisition, and move on the next job description that looks tasty.

Plus, it's especially rewarding when the same company headhunts you a few years later after rejecting you due to lack of education (Hi, Google!), and you can politely inform them that you a) are happy to discuss a position with them, or b) tell them about your previous experience and politely explain that you'd have trouble working for such a company that would reject talent like that.

Certs and a degree are awesome to separate yourself from the crowd when you're getting a foot in the door in this industry, or you're working in government/for gov't. contractors where your promotability depends on your basket of certs and college. But once you have 5 years of experience under your belt (or some great projects that you can point to to show what you've done), if it's not government, the requirement for a degree is a great filter for crappy jobs to avoid. A good company will always qualify their degree requirement with "or equivalent work experience" -- and from your descriptions of what you've done, it sounds like you've got that, especially if you started in 2008 and you've hit that magic 5 year mark.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Technomancer, it's interesting that you allude to Academia and Government.

Employed as Technical Manager @ Santa Fe College from 2005-2009, and my current employment at the County is from 2009-present.

Part of my issue at my current job is that I am listed as 'Staff Assistant' - even though my job entails fairly high level IT work, almost exclusively. That's why my pay is so low - my supervisor is diligently trying to get me reclassified (into a correctly classified position) but so far no luck.

That said, as of today I can add Server+ to my list of certifications. Next up is MCSA SQL 2012.
  • The TechnomancerThe Technomancer Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Apply a little pressure on your supervisor then. If you're good and he really wants to do right by you, giving him extra motivation to pass up the chain (like an offer letter, or a talk with him about how you're worried that your career goals and the goals of your employer aren't aligning as well as you like). If you've got a relationship that has mutual respect, he'll either light a fire under HR's/his boss's ass, or give you a glowing reference if his hands are completely tied.

Qualify your title on your resume -- list Staff Assistant, but include something like (tasked as: Systems Administrator), then use your job summary to explain the work you did. It also gives you a great line for when a competing employer asks you why you want to leave your current role, because you can tell them "I was performing the tasks of XXX title, but at a lesser title and inferior pay, and my current employer isn't able/doesn't have the budget to reclassify me. I just want what I'm worth for the work I do." Smart hiring managers see opportunity there, and it establishes the terms of any employment relationship that may follow, and no hiring manager worth a damn is going to fault someone for sticking it out with a place for 3-4 years before taking their show on the road.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Now that is a freaking superb idea! I'll definitely be updating my resume like that. I've had a hard time figuring out what an appropriate way to say "look, they have me listed as THIS, but the work I do falls in line with THAT" - thanks a ton!

Starting my Training Kit for 70-461 tonight :)