Options

Has experienced an issue like this with Win7 not recognizing my GPU?

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm experiencing something that I really odd with my Win7 machine, its a Samsung DP700A7D-S02US All-In-One which has an integrated [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AMD RADEON HD 7850M video card but Windows refuses to recognize it. Not just Windows but AMD'd own windows tool doesn't recognize the card this won't install that MD Catalyst.
Since its integrated its definitely on there or I wouldn't get a video output. What is also strange
[/FONT]that every Linux distro that I try not only recognizes the card but allows me to use it to its full potential.

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Most likely the hardware has an ID that doesn't correspond to any of the alpha-numeric Windows hardware IDs in the AMD driver .INF file. Companies that use integrated graphics in their products will frequently change the ID and modify the hardware functions to only allow their software and drivers to be run on the computer so that the end-user can't mess with settings. It's common with Dell, HP, Samsung, Asus, and others. You might be able to force a driver install or get the drivers to work if you hack the .INF file with the hardware ID codes.
  • Options
    Most likely the hardware has an ID that doesn't correspond to any of the alpha-numeric Windows hardware IDs in the AMD driver .INF file. Companies that use integrated graphics in their products will frequently change the ID and modify the hardware functions to only allow their software and drivers to be run on the computer so that the end-user can't mess with settings. It's common with Dell, HP, Samsung, Asus, and others. You might be able to force a driver install or get the drivers to work if you hack the .INF file with the hardware ID codes.

I might need to look into that later tonight, thanks
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I might need to look into that later tonight, thanks

FYI it ended up being some really proprietary driver that neither Samsung nor AMD post on either of their sites.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wth, what does Samsung say comes with that model? It seems impossible they don't have a driver for it.
  • Options
    I couldn't get an actual explanation from them and honestly I was happy to get it working but I know for a fact that my machine has a Radeon 7850M and the driver for that model from the AMD site doesn't recognize it so I have to assume that they either packaged something with the driver or modified something on the GPU itself.