Options

CISSP is Resume Gold

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I just wanted to provide some motivation to others thinking about or currently pursuing their CISSP, and tell how passing it has helped me come closer to achieving my goals. Others can feel free to chime in with their success stories as well.

I have almost seven years of total InfoSec experience, including the last 5+ years in my current role (primarily IAM). I've been trying the past couple of years internally or externally to get another security position, specifically a more broader security role so I can expand my skill set. With the amount of experience I already have and the roles that I'm targeting, there are probably tons of people applying and when I apply online I don't think my resume even got passed the filters and made it to HR. And the hits I received from posting on LinkedIn, Indeed and Dice were all pure IAM positions.

When applying internally I was continually passed up on broader security positions because I didn't have the broader technical skillset that external applicants have. This is one reason I am leaving my employer (global financial firm), as they couldn't care less to retain talent and post all jobs internally and externally at the same time, giving not a thought to the current employees. They just go with whoever has more on their resume.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, and in my own targeted job searches on many websites, CISSP was almost always in the preferred, and sometimes even the required fields, for a lot of the jobs I wanted to apply for. For the past couple of years all I wanted is to get my resume actually looked at by a human, and have a chance for it to go in front of the hiring manager. I told my wife the CISSP is like the gatekeeper to better security positions.

Man was I right. Since getting my official CISSP endorsement two weeks ago, I updated LinkedIn, Indeed, and Dice with the CISSP, as well as applying for jobs, and the results so far have blown away even my expectations. I can barely keep track of all of the inquiries and interest I am getting not only from staffing firms, but from actual corporate recruiters (thank goodness for threaded conversations to keep track of who I've responded to and what I've sent!). I even just had an initial interview after a corporate recruiter for a company in Redmond, WA (!) contacted me. Also for the few positions I've applied to myself, I am now actually getting responses from either people or canned form responses, where before I wouldn't even get a canned response most of the time when I was not even selected for consideration. I've had an an interview for an internal position I've posted for, and getting interest from the external postings. I actually was going to get an internal position as the hiring manager really wanted to hire me but her exec leadership wanted someone in a different core business location. The key in all of this is, I've been told that the team or hiring manager is OK with people lacking some of the skills, they want someone with the drive and determination to grow and expand their skillset.

Crazy thing is, I'm not even actively looking yet, just more selectively looking and will actually go on full out pursuit of opportunities after the new year. And right now is really a slow time of hiring too as I've seen the number of opportunities almost cut in half from where they were from the beginning of the year throughout the summer. It's just like kalkan999 posted on here earlier this year, it's amazing what can happen when you add the CISSP to a solid resume.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's great to hear! Good luck with your search once you do ramp things up. Are you planning to re-locate from FL? I saw you mentioned WA.

I test in December and I am looking forward to hopefully being successful and adding it to my resume as well.
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome motivational thread..Good Luck with your search!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great news - Congratulations
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    zxbane wrote: »
    That's great to hear! Good luck with your search once you do ramp things up. Are you planning to re-locate from FL? I saw you mentioned WA.

I test in December and I am looking forward to hopefully being successful and adding it to my resume as well.

My preference is to stay in FL but I also know FL underpays compared to a lot of more IT centric locations in the US. I will start by looking for jobs in Tampa, then throughout FL, and then expand to certain locations in the US. Longer term, I am looking at Australia in 3-5 years time, once I have more experience.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I'm also testing in December too.

I am SO ready to add the letters CISSP to my resume and finally land a better position in IT.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats.

The truth of the matter is that (ISC)2 has marketed the certification very well, and all who attain it can benefit from that marketing work.

CISSP provides that broad view that would be important for someone in a decision-making position to have.

I was wondering if it would somehow become diluted, once it was offered in testing centers, but that doesn't appear to be the case ... yet.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Great motivational post JoJoCal19,

I haven't looked for a job since I received my certification but my company has won a few contracts because of my organization now possesing CISSP qualified personnel (just me for now).
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got hired on to a position that requires CISSP within 6 months. Haven't been informed of the compensation yet outside of that it'll be more than what I'm at now (50k/annually), so hopefully with this in mind, they'll be set to pay me some duckets in exchange for not jumping ship ;)
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    richymartinrichymartin Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You've just answered a lot of my questions in 1 single post! Thanks JoJoCal19!

I'm looking at the CISSP syllabus now an starting to form a study plan.

Thanks again.