Interface and Line Config Question

ss1020ss1020 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'll keep this as short as possible. I've worked with various Cisco routers and Pix boxes. I also have taken the ICND course and have studied various other books in prep for my CCNA test. My question is this -
Is there a standard I can go by to make sure that I don't flub the test questions that require actual device configuration?
I am used to saying for instance,
Router(config) int E0
and then configuring the interface. On some simulators, that does not work.
Again
Router(config) con 0
Do i need to actually spell out the entire name of the interface, such as
Router(config) Ethernet 0
If so, why do I need to put the space after the interface type?
I'm testing next Wed. and this has me pulling my hair (whats left of it) out...

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I took the CCNA exam before the simulations where in it, but I figure they use the same for the BSCI exam which I took 2 months ago. It contained a rather advanced simulator, I was able to use the TAB to autocomplete commands, and even the help (?) function worked entirely.

But to answer your questions more directly:
    - yes, you can abbreviate commands.
    - and yes you can use leave the space out (if not, it will not accept the command...)

I think the simulators are actually one of the more easier questions in the CCNA exam if you actually know how to configure a router (from hands-on experience or a simulator)

Relax, they are not out to trick you ;)
  • ss1020ss1020 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.
    I'm just trying to make sure that I have everything down.
    so i'll just go with the int e0 and hope for the best.
    :D
  • sikdoggsikdogg Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    check and confirm the type of router that the sim is using. If its a 2500, then the shortcut E0 should work. If on the other hand the simulated router is a 2600, the interface may not be Ethernet but FastEthernet. In that case the shortcut will be fa0 or fa0/0 or something to that effect depending on which module the interface is on.