Newb networking question regarding ports...

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Newb networking question regarding ports...

Curious, are there certain ports you don't have to open up on a wireless router that has a built in firewall such as port 80 and 443 (https)?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Inbound or outbound? I'd assume on 99% of SOHO wireless routers everything is allowed outbound by default. Might want to check you specific device manufactures info to be sure though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use ShieldsUp by GRC: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

It's a free port scanning utility. You can take a look at what ports are open and what ports are closed.

The ports you will want to leave open are dependent upon the protocols you are using in your network, i.e. FTP, SNMP, SMTP, POP3, etc...
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    well i was referring to outbound, i guess that makes sense if all outbound is not blocked! thanks, i'll have to try that tonight techguy!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In my experience with consumer routers protocols such as SSH, and telnet internally have issues working. Some routers work ok but others seem to have issues like this...thankfully commercial routers are good to go.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Most home routers allow common connections to allow. such as RDP HTTP(80) SSL (443) etc etc to ease use for people who are technically inclined. The best rule to set on any business firewall is to deny all(at first setup!). This way you can determine why its being used and by who as they will complain that x program will not work. Just my 2 cents
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    santaowns wrote: »
    This way you can determine why its being used and by who as they will complain that x program will not work. Just my 2 cents

Horrible way to go about it IMO. Why not just do some research and find out what legitimately needs to traverse the network before setting it up? The 'see who complains' is such a lazy way out I see thrown around here a so much.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.