Options

IDS Thresholds

teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
I came across a question worded similarly to the following:

Which of the following outlines the possibilities of not properly setting and tuning thresholds of a behavior-based IDS:

A) If the threshold is set too low, non-intrusive activities are considered attacks (false positives). If the threshold is set too high, then malicious activities are not identified (false negatives).

B) If the threshold is set too low, non-intrusive activities are considered attacks (false negatives). If the threshold is set too high, then malicious activities are not identified (false positives).

C) If the threshold is set too high, non-intrusive activities are considered attacks (false positives). If the threshold is set too low, then malicious activities are not identified (false negatives).

D) If the threshold is set too high, non-intrusive activities are considered attacks (false positives). If the threshold is set too high, then malicious activities are not identified (false negatives).

I selected "A", but the answer is "C".

Here's an example that supports my answer:
  • Normal traffic = X
  • Threshold = 5
Normal traffic "N" and abnormal traffic "A" are represented by the following:
  • N = the range between X - 5 and X + 5
  • A = traffic greater than X + 5 or less than X - 5
If I lower the threshold from 5 to 4, more non-intrusive activities will cause the IDS to trigger an attack.
Conversely, if I raise the threshold from 5 to 6, more malicious activities will not be identified.

Please help me reconcile my logic above to answer "C".
If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'm interested for the reasoning, unless it is incorrect...I agree that "A" is the answer.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I'm interested for the reasoning, unless it is incorrect...I agree that "A" is the answer.
    Here's the explanation:
    C. If the threshold is set too high, non-intrusive activities are considered attacks (false positives). If the threshold is set too low, then malicious activities are not identified (false negatives).
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you c/p'd the answer as the explanation?

Regardless, the question (which I think you forgot a 't' on 'no' to make it 'not') is asking about a misconfigured IDS. False positives will be generated if the threshold is too low, and the reverse for false negatives.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you c/p'd the answer as the explanation?
    Unfortunately, that is the explanation provided in the AIO book.
    Regardless, the question (which I think you forgot a 't' on 'no' to make it 'not') is asking about a misconfigured IDS. False positives will be generated if the threshold is too low, and the reverse for false negatives.
    Thanks, I fixed the question.
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    "A" for me. I would also like to hear the reasoning for "C"
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    apparently this question has been asked before:

CISSP_Study - Re: [CCCure CISSP] CISSPstudy Digest, Vol 60, Issue 57

Swap "threshold" with "sensitivity" and you understand why C is the correct answer. if the "sensitivity" is too high, you get more false positives. If the "Sensitivity" is too low, you get false negatives. Poor wording IMO.
  • Options
    The AIO book (source of the question) has the following statements regarding thresholds:
    • "Clipping level is a threshold value. Once a threshold value is passed the activity is considered to be an event that is logged, investigated, or both."
    • "If the [normal] network traffic volume exceeds the IDS system's threshold, attacks may go unnoticed."
    • "As with all filters, the thresholds are tunable to adjust the sensitivity, and to reduce the number of false positives and false negatives."
    • "Determining the proper thresholds for statistically significant deviations is really the key for the successful use of a behavioral-based IDS. If the threshold is set too low, nonintrusive activities are considered attacks (false positives). If the threshold is set too high, some malicious activities won't be identified (false negatives). "
    Given that the last bullet supports answer "A", I wonder if the answer in the book is a typo. Common sense seems to indicated that threshold level is not synonymous with sensitivity, but inversely related to it. Thoughts?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Question seems a bit over tuned to simply become a word problem not a technical problem, let alone one of those dread "management questions". Answer is C when your figure that its the most conservative answer and allows the greatest amount flexibility. Better to capture too much and lower the clipping than to miss what could be obvious. Combined with another control point (HIDS, internal Firewall, etc.) it should be easy to confirm or deny. But relying strictly on one control will always be a dicey move. Hence why I think so many people have trouble with this type of question. It doesn't really reflect good practice in the field.

- B Eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    ...Answer is C when your figure that its the most conservative answer and allows the greatest amount flexibility. Better to capture too much and lower the clipping than to miss what could be obvious. Combined with another control point (HIDS, internal Firewall, etc.) it should be easy to confirm or deny. ...
    I don't understand your reasoning in context of what answer "C" actually says. Please clarify.
  • Options
    atx1975atx1975 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I answered "C" my reasoning is threshold is misleading making it sounds as if there is a clipping level which may be part of the analysis engine but not all, threshold in my mind is how detailed the inspection is meaning the higher the threshold the more detailed the inspection to the point where normal traffic may "possibly" look malicious causing false-positives......when the threshold is too low or less detailed on inspection it may allow more crafty malicious traffic through causing false negatives let me know if that makes sense?
  • Options
    Sensitivity is a byproduct of threshold. I agree that the wording is poor because sensitivity and threshold have an inverse relationship IMO.
  • Options
    atx1975atx1975 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    True I agree, but another key word could be "behavior-based" versus "anomaly-based" where i would think an anomaly-based looks more at thresholds for irregularity rather that the behavior of the traffic.
  • Options
    ClindamycinClindamycin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    U r right buddy. This is what I found in Sec+ book by Darril Gibson
    With this in mind, administrators set the threshold to a number between 1 and 1,000 to indicate an attack. If administrators set it too low, they will have too many false positives and a high workload as they spend their time chasing ghosts. If they set the threshold too high, actual attacks will get through without administrators knowing about them.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holy Necro-Thread!

I'd say C. Like the privacy settings on your browser's Internet Zone Privacy settings... The threshold is like a tolerance.

Low Threshold = High Sensitivity (False Positives).
    High Threshold = Low Sensitivity (False Negatives).
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, it's C for sure. If you set your IDS threshold too high, you're going to get false positives for everything in your environment. If you set it too low, then you're going to get false negatives, meaning the bad stuff is going to be accepted.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I REALLY hope the OP wasn't hanging there waiting for one more response for 4 years.