Options

Microsoft Certification

Night RiderNight Rider Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi People!

I've just graduated with a diploma in IT.....i am trying to do some Microsoft certification to become a IT professional Enterprise support Tech but i really don't no which one to do first.

Can someone help me out ?????

Thanks,
Night Rider

Comments

• Options
    Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    You can always start out with the Basic Exams and work your way up. The ones to jump start you would be the Windows 8 exams 70-687 and 70-688 as well as the Server 2012 exams 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. I can tell you that the 70-687 and 70-410 are fairly easy if you read a book and have access to VMs so you can install Windows 8 and Server 2012. Unless you have already done this.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Options
    Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    Keep in mind though that the exams with the most solid material out right now are the 70-687 and 70-410. As far as the other Server 2012 exams, most authors are waiting until the R2 release to publish their books. Which is estimated right now for January 22, 2014.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Theegg911 wrote: »
    You can always start out with the Basic Exams and work your way up. The ones to jump start you would be the Windows 8 exams 70-687 and 70-688 as well as the Server 2012 exams 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. I can tell you that the 70-687 and 70-410 are fairly easy if you read a book and have access to VMs so you can install Windows 8 and Server 2012. Unless you have already done this.

Curious as to why would say Windows 8? Most enterprises haven't rolled out Windows 8 and most won't until 8.1 proves stable with enough upside to be worth the cost of updating. Windows 7 is by far the most used OS in enterprise and should be for the next year at least. The 70-685 would be the best choice for a job now along with an A+. If OP wanted they could take the 70-680 also to get an MCSA Windows 7 and update to the Windows 8 70-689.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I know where I work we are not looking at upgrading to Windows 8 at all. We are in hope that MS will pull its head out of the ground and go back to offering a true desktop experience and not their Metro interface. Time will tell, but we held on to Windows XP for a long time because Vista was so bad to start with.

Due to this I am taking my 70-680 and 685 exams for a windows 7 certification. That being said, I am still looking into the Server 2012 certifications because we will be using them because of some of the improvements offered.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    70-685 is "Enterprise Desktop Support Technician" so looking for Enterprise Support Tech that looks like a good fit. I am not sure what your degree covers but having a knowledge of hardware would help. The A+ and Net+ are good to go with to get you familiar with how networks and hardware/software work. Will make the M$ exams much easier, at least in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since 46% of Desktop operating systems run on Windows 7, it makes MCITP for win 7 still a viable option. Windows 8 is growing, but if I had to guess (which most people don't know what the future holds) it won't overtake Windows 7. And the fact that Windows 7 end of support is Jan 14th 2020, makes it hard to over look MCITP for Windows 7.

I am currently imaging Windows 8.1 on a select few PC's in our domain. As we test and look for issue with 8.1, it will eventually become the go to OS like Windows 7 has been for us for almost 3 years now. So if you do decided to go MCSA Windows 8 your not getting to far ahead of yourself. We are much more on the bleeding edge then other IT shops in our area. I know a few shops that are literally rushing to get Windows 7 out right now.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    I know a few shops that are literally rushing to get Windows 7 out right now.

I will second this. I'm currently working on a desktop deployment for a major healthcare provider, and they are rushing to retire Windows XP and make the move to Windows 7 before they can't do it anymore. I believe they still have some legacy hardware that will only run on XP, because I just had to image a handful of brand new Dells to XP (and manually migrate 43 printers to each one, but don't get me started on that...).

I haven't seen or heard of many businesses that are running Windows 8. In fact, the only person I know that is using it at his job is a project manager for a company that does a bunch of contract work for Microsoft. Personally, I'm going for the 70-680 and 70-685, because those skills can always be upgraded later on quite easily.