Pharming and Spam attack

WangMichaelWangMichael Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Question: Employees of a company have received emails that fraudulently claim to be from the company's security department. The emails ask the employees to sign-on to an Internet website to verify passwords and personal information . This is an example of which type of attack
A Spam B pharming C man-in-the -middle D vishing

I choose the answer is A.
, but the official answer is B ,can someoon please give me some hint ? thanks!

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums WangMichael. Is this a question from a bank of practice test questions? If so, I'm curious if it has any explanations.

Practice test questions without explanations often have errors and this is an example. A is correct and B isn't even close. The danger of using practice test questions without explanations is that people memorize questions and answers without understanding the underlying content. I often repeat that ideally you should be able to look at any question and know why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. This way no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to answer them correctly.

If your study materials don't cover each of the answers, you can Google each of the terms to understand them and it becomes clear that Spam (unwanted email) is the best possible answer of the given choices (though not necessarily the best possible answer for the question).

Hope this helps.
  • WangMichaelWangMichael Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you very much, Darril.
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too believe the *best* answer is spam e-mail. I just don't see enough from the question to consider it pharming. Now if the question said something along the lines of "...after the user clicked the link in the e-mail, the user is brought to different but similar website that requests user credentials." Then yes pharming.

If there was an answer for phishing, I think that would be the best IMO.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)