Question Regarding Title/Position on a Resume

tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
So my current position/official title is Systems Engineer. Before this job, I was a Network Engineer for 3 years. Before that, I was a Network Admin for 4 years. My duties in this job are all in line with a Network Engineer with some VM and server administration mixed in. Before accepting this job, I asked if the title could be changed from Systems Engineer to Network Engineer as it was more fitting for the actual position. I was told that the opening was for a Systems Engineer, but they needed someone to do networking. I accepted the position (it was either that or turn it down based on a title). Anyway, the first week on the job I was talking with a co-worker about this situation. He gave me the real explanation. Basically, the previous Network Engineer sucked at life and they had to fire him. Well, I guess to avoid actually calling it a firing, HR decided to get rid of the position all together. So after that, the whole deal with the title made a little more sense.

In the end, the title doesn’t really matter to me. In fact, my direct supervisor still refers to me as the Network Engineer. So my question is: how should I represent this on my resume? I have no intention of leaving this position anytime soon, but I like to always have an updated resume “in case.” I can put Network Engineer as the title, but my worry is that prospective employers will contact the company to verify employment and see that my title was actually Systems Engineer. If I put Systems Engineer, I’m sure the “oh-so-smart” HR/recruiter filters will have me getting emails and calls for true System Engineer positions. I’m sure I will also spend every interview/phone call explaining that while my title was a Systems Engineer, I was actually a Network Engineer. Thoughts?
2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
, [ ] CCNP Security
2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
[ ] CCIE R&S Written
2016 Goals:
[ ] CCIE R&S

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see any problem in swapping "Systems Engineer" with "Network Engineer" on your resume, as you've stated in essence they are almost identical positions. Upon a future perspective employer contacting your current company, I really don't think it would be a big deal. They are more concerned with the work performed (duties/tasks) and the level at which you performed it (work ethic).
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should just leave it as System Engineer. If that is your official title then leave it alone. In an interview you can explain that this position was more focused on networking. System Engineer/Network Engineer both look good on a resume so why complicate the background check process.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think this will be something I may have to feel out. I know Systems Engineer is generally associated with server admin type work. If you saw on someone's resume starting from oldest to newest position: "Network Administrator", "Network Engineer", "Network Engineer", "Systems Engineer," you don't think that would be a little "off?" I understand that someone who is reading the resume in depth will take time to read the description of each position. But I know when I've scanned resumes in the past, I generally start from oldest experience and work my way backward through the resume. I like to see progression throughout that person's career. I just think it would look weird initially to see a change in title like that.

I'm probably over thinking this.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my 2 cents - but you should always put your actual formally assigned title. If it's "Systems Engineer" - I would not suggest that you change it - you can always elaborate in the job description.

For certain industries - a background check will raise an exception and it will complicate the hiring process.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with paul78. Use your official title. It would be pretty silly to use something else and that cause an issue in your employment verification.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.