Options

MS certs- help gain entry-level networking job?

CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
I have been recently trying to prepare myself to enter IT job market after graduating from WGU. I really want to skip helpdesk and jump straight into a NOC, or a SOC in a perfect world as infosec is where I really want to be asap. I have done most of my entry-level/intern job searches using CCNA as a keyword, and I notice that a majority of the jobs that want the CCNA, that they want MCSA/MCSE as well.

Should I go ahead and start working on MCSA to better my chances of gaining the ever elusive first IT job?

Also, am I going about this this right way...trying to get my first job at a NOC, then hopefully moving horizontally into any sort of infosec role when I am eligible?

Thanks guys!
IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
(Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
Required:
SBT1 RGT1 RIT1

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It depends on what type of job you want. Obviously the broader knowledge you have the more jobs open up to you. That doesn't mean it will open the type of jobs you want though. MCSA probably won't help you much getting a networking gig, but can help you with the helpdesk or systems side.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    If anything MCSA would prevent a networking job lol.

No seriously if they require that then chances are you will be involved support side. This is no bad thing tbh, work your way up. The stuff you learn on support is invaluable.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I could see smaller companies wanting both but a MCSA is a system administration certification which is basically a separate category. You need networking certs to break into networking but having both is a good thing. With just a bachelors it will be hard to jump to anything but entry level unless you have work experience...maybe a good amount of certifications.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought it was odd that the entry-level networking jobs I found asked for MS certs too, that's why I asked here, but it sounds like those jobs are likely to be more on the support side.

So what you guys are saying then is that there's really no point in me doing any MS certs because I want to get into networking then work my way into security. I hope that having a bachelors and CCNA will get me an entry-level networking job. Is a NOC still my best bet?

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    I definitely wouldn't turn your nose up at support, remember that is like the breeding ground for top notch quality (mmm not the best terminology lol?). If you can prove yourself there you'll be escalated very quickly.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first job was with a small MSP. Knowing Cisco and Microsoft definitely helped.

If you're going to do MS certs, there's no time like now when you can take advantage of the student discount.
  • Options
    I honestly have no desire to pursue any MS certs. It just seemed like a lot of the jobs I searched for entry-level networking they wanted CCNA and MCSA which I still don't quite understand as they are two different disciplines. As for helpdesk, I feel like I have been doing that all my life, just not getting paid for it lol!

My goal is definitely to get into a NOC, I hope that it's feasible.

Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the size of the company, small companies will want you to know everything. Nothing wrong with working helpdesk, it pays the same as an entry level NOC job. People will tell you its hard to move out of a HD job, but so is a NOC.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see a ton of jobs here in NJ asking for CCNA and MCSA as well. I'm guessing they like folks who can bridge the gap between networking and systems administration. Of course, you have people like me who didn't even realize there was a difference when they first started school icon_rolleyes.gif

MCSA would help get you in a support role. You could use the support role experience to help you get into a networking role, I would think.