Options

Upcoming interview

dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE i have recently been scheduled for an interview for a network admin, i am wondering if its strange that the interview was scheduled over email, all post i have seen in here have been of people being called for interviews. Is it strange that i communicate by email, the interviewer has given his phone number but we havent spoken, should i give him a call ?

I have been out of the workforce for awhile, just migrated to rejoin up with my family, been self employed as a computer technician. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perfectly normal. I wouldn't give him/her a call. No reason to if the email has the phone number, time, and date. Good luck!
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    That's fairly typical from what I've seen. I'm sure if you requested to talk they would be more than happy to but often times communication through email works better, especially for those trying to communicate during their normal work day.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like others have said it depends on the size of the company. The current Director of IT at my job is very technical which I thought was strange considering at my last job the Director wasn't hands-on at all.

I have also had HR people ask me technical questions. I emphasize the "ask" because they most likely don't know the answers to the questions, they are only using it to screen you and have something to give to the other engineers.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    FloOz wrote: »
    Like others have said it depends on the size of the company. The current Director of IT at my job is very technical which I thought was strange considering at my last job the Director wasn't hands-on at all.
    The hands-on Director-types are that way often because:
    1. Small company/IT team;
    . . . and/or. . .
    2. Can't or won't delegate (usually can't).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry forgot to mention my current company is very large and the Director I would say is one of the most technical. Probably because he has been here the longest :)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It's quite common to see technical directors. In my opinion a strong IT director should have a technical background and be able to effectively understand what goes on in the ranks below them.

Saying that they can't/won't delegate isn't true at all from what I've seen. It usually means they're able to better delegate because they can comprehend what they're delegating out.
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tjh87 wrote: »
    Perfectly normal. I wouldn't give him/her a call. No reason to if the email has the phone number, time, and date. Good luck!

Thanks man.
    Thanks everyone else for your replies.