Options

Question about government contract terms

alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
An old manager who is now a director contacted me the other day and stated that he has a potential new position that he would like for me to fill but is waiting for notification from the government for the award. What does this mean? Does this mean that the company is potentially getting awarded the contract or is the contract still being proposed?

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    It means the contract hasn't been awarded, but if they win, they'll need to have people signed on and ready to go.
  • Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most likely that the company has bid on the contract and is awaiting the decision. Keep in mind, there are usually at least three bidders on any assignment and the process can take months before the contract is awarded.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tjh87 wrote: »
    the process can take months before the contract is awarded.

The advice already given in this thread is accurate, however there are a few more things that you may wish to be aware of for future reference, if your intent is to be in the area of government contracting.

You may have to provide a redacted resume (no identifiable information - no name, phone number, address, etc) for them to bid you on the contract. Sometimes, they will remove this information for you to bid you on a contract.

You may also get a "contingent offer letter". Bear in mind that this is not an offer letter, but an offer letter that is contingent on the contract award... meaning don't quit your job just yet.

My recommendation would be to send an email (or text message, whatever your relationship with this person may be) asking what contract it is, when the contract is expected to be awarded, and who the prime is. Check on http://www.usaspending.gov around the dates that the contract should have been awarded if you haven't heard anything.

(Prime: The company that actually receives the award for the work, Sub: Contractors hired by that company to supplement their workforce for the contract)

EDIT: When working with the government, there is also always the expectation that they don't get things done on time (you know, like contract awards)... so don't start nagging the day after the contract should have been awarded.
  • Options
    alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the information, I noticed that other companies post openings for positions on job boards that are not awarded yet, is this for finding the right resume to submit to the government?