Options

Try this again!! Resume sucks...Help!!!

Ok my PDF creator is jacked sorry they are now in word. I suck at resume writing and I need help bad. Please help me with any suggestions or comments! Thanks a ton!One page version and two page version.....Please help me with this as I need to apply for a position by next week!

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Two pages are fine. I'd reduce some of the additional personal stuff (donate) at the end as your not coming straight out of college and frankly, what you do on your time is not important on a professional resume.

If you can relate your resume to the position, specifically any synergies related to the position your applying that would be the best start. Show some forward progress like: Increased efficiency by doing x, y and z saving the organization so many dollars in reduced costs. Process improvements go a long way toward showing value.

- B Eads
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Just some other ways to consider phrasing things, feel free to use or disagree.

Quickly reduced vulnerabilities by 70% by establishing and leading a vulnerability reduction program, identifying threats and improving the overall security posture of my organization.

Successfully led a team of 20 to make critical security configuration changes to a network of over 1500 end user devices. Responsible for handling all aspects of project end to end, including change management and ensuring minimal disruptions to end user with 100% compliance.

(Classified/SIPRnet depends on if you are applying for a civilian job, if so use classified) network/security admin for responsible for managing x number of pcs/x number of user accounts/x devices, total value in $ (estimate). Ensured network and devices were in compliance with constantly changing DOD, DISA, FIPS regulations.

Oversee a team of # that provide real-time intrusion detection and Host Based protection for all "x number of devices" using HBSS and McAfee orchestrator. How has this impacted your organization? % of reduced down time? $ Saved?

Make "Utilize SCCM & (Windows Server version would be good to add here)Active Directory..." it's own bullet point

Change "The Authority concerning..." to somehow talk up how you quickly learned and became the authority on these things, demonstrating your ability to not only learn but also train/mentor on things.

Would remove this, redundant, and would add in the time sensitive change requirements elsewhere like in your Siprnet admin bullet-
    "Monitor the Defense Information Systems Secret Network for time compliance directives to continually secure and harden the DoD security posture. "
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you want to work on airplanes. That what your resume says. Take off both the Professional Associations and the Personal Achievements/Volunteerism. Move the Certificates below the summary you need to write. Add detail to the Cyber Surety Cert most civilian won't know what it means. Put the AS Information Systems before the Aeronautics and Avionics. Write a summary of what you did for IT work.
    Since you have the IT information hidden, I missed you statement under INFOSEC which would make a good summary if you expanded it a little more.
    Also move up Academics and put the Information Systems above the Avionics and Aeronautics.
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    Great advice, thank you very much. Do you guys think I should condense it to one page or does two pages suffice? Also DCD mentioned a statement? What is/needs to be in and where is the statement located in a resume? This is all new to me.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use this as a start for your summary "Manage information technology (IT) and human resourcesto monitor, evaluate and protect DoD systems. Manage focus groups, policies and procedures to protect clients,networks, data/voice systems and databases from unauthorized or malicious activity." and put it below your contact information. One page is fine.
  • Options
    aluchenialucheni Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a suggestion for your first line. Change:

10+ years of progressively responsible experience with emphasis on management and security

into

10+ years of increasing I.T. responsibilities with emphasis on management and security

The way you have it now sounds as if you're claiming to be a "responsible" I.T. person rather than an I.T. person with responsibilities. Being responsible is either a yes or no proposition, whereas responsibilities are things you can keep accumulating. Just my 2c.