Options

Advice for Candidate With Limited Experience

adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all. I'm going to graduate in five weeks with an AAS in Computer Systems Technology. It's a pretty similar major to IT. I've taken Windows Deployment, Windows Server, Advanced Networking (Cisco R/S), Security, etc. These classes have been pretty hands on, but I don't have work experience. I've done stuff with AD, GPOs, etc, but because it was in a small controlled environment, my knoweldge isn't overly deep. I have the A+ and N+, and am getting the MTA: Network Foundations in a few days. I'm also studying for the CCENT, since my current Advanced Networking class uses the ICND1 Official Cert Guide.

So basically, I feel like I have a good concept of networking and I've dabbled with these technologies, but I lack experience. Here's the kicker though, I've gotten calls for interviews.

I have an interview next week for a Jr. Network Administrator position, and I'm nervous about it because if I got hired I would feel like I'm going to need someone to hold my hand when I first start. I'm going to need to pick up a Server book, and refresh my knowledge and perhaps do some labbing on my own. But even then, I won't be confident in my ability. I don't want to display a lack of confidence in the interview, however, since that would hurt my chances of landing the job.

Say I get hired, do they expect me to know everything and be off and running on my own? My resume is pretty clear, there's not really any way to misinterpret anything, so they clearly know I have never had a job in the field. I had another interview as well for a tech support position, but couldn't work with the hours due to school, so it didn't go through. I'm optimistic about the responses, but doubtful because I know reading the stuff in a book doesn't translate to doing the stuff with your own hands.

What are the expectations? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Very, very few IT jobs just throw new employees out in the deep end and expect them to swim without providing any resources. Seeing as this is a Jr. position I would expect you to have more senior resources to turn to and help mentor you. Even Senior positions don't expect one person to know everything without having resources available.

You don't need to be confident that you can do everything that their senior staff can on your own, however you do need to have confidence in your ability to learn the skill set required and contribute to the company.
  • Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on a lot. Their expectations will probably line up close to what the job description is. How comfortable are you with your skills aligning with the job description? If you are hired, they probably won't expect you to be off and running on your first day due to you not having any previous experience and that you would be a new employee.

For the interview, be confident in what you do know and be willing to admit that you don't know everything. The things you don't know, show an interest to learn. Don't just state that you don't know. Word it in a way that shows them you have the ability and desire to learn. It seems like your attitude is already in line with that, so probably no worries there.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • Options
    I'm a pretty quick learner, and I really want to learn. Networking is my passion, but it's different reading the material and putting it to practice. I guess that's why I'm a bit nervous. I'm familiar with various terms/protocols, and I've edited OUs in class, configured local and group policy, and have done some other things as far as promoting a server to a DC and what not, it's just limited. So I'm confident in my foundation and would love to have a role where I can learn and develop from others.

Job duties include training end users on hardware/software, managing some servers/switches, and monitoring the network and reporting issues to proper persons. I'm confident I could pick up on this stuff after a couple weeks, since I do have class/lab experience and have knowledge of networking, meaning this isn't the first time I'm hearing or seeing the stuff. It's a huge environment though, 30 servers and 300 terminals. I guess that feels daunting to me. The reason I guess these people called me is because I'm within 10 minutes of the facility, am studying for the CCENT (so I do know some stuff about IOS), and have used Server in class. It's more or less a potential thing I suppose. The Net+ and MTA are nice, but they're not really hands-on, though, so I know that only goes so far.

I was hesitant to even call back but I did and scheduled the interview, figuring what is the worse that could happen. If it was just a help desk position, I don't think that would make me as nervous, since I view those roles as a bit easier and anyone who is the family IT guy has a good bit of experience solving typical hardware/software issues.

I appreciate the replies, and if anyone else has anything to add, I would appreciate it as well. I may not even get hired, but eventually someone's going to take a chance on me, so it's nice to get some feedback on what to expect when I enter the field.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    30 servers and 300 workstations! I would kill to manage something that small! icon_wink.gif (Our current setup is 3 Data Centers, 200+ Servers, and 3000+ end users!)

But I digress...

You can expect them to test your basic knowledge within your interview. Almost all IT interviews conduct some sort of technical interview where they may ask you some easy questions and some pretty tough ones as well. A few examples:

1. How do you set up a DL in Exchange 2010?
    2. What is DNS and DHCP?
    3. What is RIP, EIGRIP, and BGP? When is it appropriate to use these protocols?
    4. Differences between UDP and TCP.

Etc..etc...just expect some basic questions regarding OS, NOS, Protocols, Switching and Routing.

*Note it is also prudent to state that all infrastructures differ greatly. During the interview you will probably find out some greater detail about the servers (Citrix, ESXI, Triton, Exchange, etc) and switches/routers (Cisco, Juno, Brocade, HP, etc...). From there you can get a better idea of what your day to day will be.

Even though this is a junior level position, it's not help desk so I would expect the work to be a bit more challenging.

More than anything else, express that your ambitious and driven and looking to get your foot in the door. Let them know that your going to give 100% day in and day out, that you are a quick learner, and eager to get started in your career. That was how I obtained my first professional position.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Thank you sir. Exactly what I needed to hear. I'll give it my best shot. If I don't get it, that's OK, but this is my first ever interview for an IT job so I'll at least use it as learning experience.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You could look online for Jr network administrator questions to brush up. You have the interview so they must've seen something they liked. Think of it this way your halfway to getting the job its up to you to seal the deal. Good luck buddy and try to sound confident.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

The only thing that really makes me nervous is I have not used much Server since last semester. We started with 08, upgraded to 2012, and did some stuff with AD DS, GPOs, OUs, permissions (local user and NTFS), and FSMO roles. I have installed a virtual machine with an evaluation copy and there's a seemingly decent youtube series going over the basics of server, so I'm hoping to brush up on my knowledge of that.

If it doesn't work out, it's OK. I'll report back with results later next week.
  • Options
    I just got back from the interview. It was a bit overwhelming, for a few reasons. The company I interviewed with is a $100 billion company, and owns all but two buildings on the street. They have an office in Europe, California, Pennsylvania, and acquired a huge facility about 10 minutes from my house. I got to the place, and the parking lot was littered with Mercedes, BMWs, at least one ferrari (who I later found out was owned by the president). I go up the elevator, and right outside is double glass doors and a woman sitting behind the big circular desk and what looks like a $15,000 fish tank is mounted on the corner of the wall. Really fancy looking place. This may not seem like a lot to people here, but for me it was mind blowing.

As it turns out, I would be setting up new workstations and providing L1/L2 support to employees. They do not have full time staff in the new location or in Pennsylvania, so two times per month I would be expected to visit the Pa location and four times a month, the new location (which, is likely to become the permanent spot once the transition occurs). Light networking would also be involved.
    I interviewed with two people, who did not ask me technical questions. They wanted to know when I graduated, what I studied, my biggest challenge in school, and things of that nature. I expressed interest, and told them I was familiar with the expected technology but not at the level I would be working at. They assured me I would be shadowing someone for 1-2 months and would give me all the knowledge I could absorb.

I expressed interest in learning, and told them it was my passion. I took notes, and they seemed impressed. I am supposed to have a second interview after the holidays. We shall see.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool congrats on the first interview! Don't let those things intimidate you and it sounds like you did well anyway.
  • Options
    Just an update...That company called and asked me to come back in next week. I also had a phone interview with a different company, and they asked me to come in next week as well. The latter is more of an internal help desk role (the company is big, but is not tech-related). I would be grateful to receive an offer from either one, as I've never had an IT position and am getting tired of waking up at 3AM to go to my retail job.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You say that you would be happy with either, but I would hope that you not be too quick to accept. Since you're still in school for now, try not to be too pressured to accept right away, unless they seriously blow you away with the offer, and even then, still you need to act like you have been there before, and keep it calm.

EDIT: Horrible string of words above. Hope it makes sense.

Hope this helps. :)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Thanks. Since both interviews are after the holiday, by the time I get hired and give my two weeks, I will have graduated from school. I don't want to get into the details yet, but financially either offer stands to increase my pay by 50% (not to mention full time) and actually get me a job in my field of study, so I'm not really in a position to turn anything down. I have no experience either, so I really hope at least one of the positions is offered to me, as I know it can be difficult to get that first break.
  • Options
    Update:

I had another interview today, and toured the facility. The company owns several buildings and showed me their server rooms and network diagram. I've never set foot in a server room before and I was not too familiar with some of the stuff I saw.

My job basically would involve providing support to employees for their VoIP phones and workstations, and setting up new computers/tablets/etc for employees. Network backups and other things would be a regular occurrence, and more responsibly when it comes to Group Policy and server/router stuff would come as my ability/knowledge increased.

All things considered, they offered me a position starting at 32k per year. It's a little low here in NJ, but I have no experience and it seems like a great learning experience. I was selected over candidates with experience, probably because I'd work for less, but he told me I was well spoken and appeared to have a high aptitude.

I have an interview with another company Thursday. I will see where I stand then, I suppose.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    Congrats! Also keep in mind that in IT many of us switch employers every year or two. Gain experience, study, get certs and raise your compensation. I received this advice a decade ago and it's worked out great for me.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    dou2ble wrote: »
    Congrats! Also keep in mind that in IT many of us switch employers every year or two. Gain experience, study, get certs and raise your compensation. I received this advice a decade ago and it's worked out great for me.

The benefit of this position is that it would expose me to a lot, which I'd be thankful for in the long run. If there was a significant raise after a year, I could see me staying, but if it's not much, I think it would have to be a case of getting the valuable experience I need and moving on afterwards. It's a huge company but only six IT people, so probably not a ton of room for advancement, more than anything I would be hoping for extra responsibility and an increase as my responsibilities increase.

My interview on Thursday is for IT Assistant. I had a phone interview, and they asked what my expected pay would be, and said I was in the right ballpark (15-18/hr). I'll go to it, and see what's up with it. It's hard, not having experience, so I can't be too picky.
  • Options
    My interview with company B was today. I'm extremely frustrated right now.

After going back and forth with someone to get an interview date, they settle on a Wednesday morning. The previous week, I had been told that that day was not good, as I was unavailable until 2PM. I let them know that this wouldn't work. I was sent two emails confirming Thursday at 10AM. I had to skip my first class of the semester today to attend this interview. I get there, and after sitting for 25 minutes, was told my appointment was not until 11 and that there was a Dunkin Donuts down the street. I showed the secretary the emails, and she called the person I was supposed to be interviewing with. I am not here to play the blame game, I'm on time and want to interview. Another 15 minutes passes, the guy calls her and says re-schedule. Are you kidding me? Why would I want to even work for a company that cannot get such a small task done correctly?
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If Company B can't respect your time and make a good first impression by getting those relatively simple details right, imagine what things could potentially be like once you're actually working there. Not worth playing those games.

Company A has their act together and the role puts you in a position to touch a variety of technologies allowing you to determine what to specialize in as your career progresses. The choice seems clear to me assuming you have no other irons in the fire.

For what it's worth, my first full-time IT gig started at 32k as well. Granted the cost of living in small town Pennsylvania is substantially less than NJ but either way, it's a start!
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. You're spot on.

I was given documents explaining benefits and policy, etc. from company A, and am awaiting an email from HR with the official offer. I met with them late Tuesday, and they had to conduct a background check, so hopefully it comes in today or tomorrow. Given how things went today, I intend on accepting the offer from company A.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in New Jersey and my first job started at $35k (they made me wait 6 months between initial interview and being hired so I upped my minimum). It is what it is, especially with no experience. I was about in the same boat as you, albeit I had a four year degree and some part time experience, but overall you are basically spot on for me. I stayed 8 months, got a small raise and a bonus, but the work was way over what they said it would be. As others have said, get the experience and then see where you are in a year. As of right now my average for full time working is 18 months. Usually, you have to move to get the raise you really want and no one is too surprised by that.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the words. All things considered, 32k + gas compensation (2-4 times a month have to visit a remote site) isn't bad. I get my AAS in CST in a few weeks and hopefully the CCENT as well. I'll take whatever experience I can get at this point...just gotta wait anxiously for the email from HR.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the gig. Some words of advice. Keep studying and learn as much as you can. A year from now you could easily jump to another job and have a much larger pay. So like others have said look at this job as a starting point for you. Personally I got my first IT job as a Desktop Engineer making 42k in the PA area. While there I got my CCNA and jumped ship after a year to a gig willing to pay me 54k (my first networking job). I stayed at my first networking job for about 8 months before leaving, not because I didn't like the place, but because I got offered another job from firm that would give me a ton of experience plus would look good on my resume. I am here currently and they pay my 68k.

So don't be afraid to make jumps in your career especially when your first starting out. I feel that the first 5 years of your career are the most important in laying a good foundation.

Goodluck!
  • Options
    Thanks.

Had I not lurked around here, I don't think I'd be mindful of the concept of 'jumping' as strange as that might sound. I don't plan to stop learning...already know the next few certs I'm interested in getting (the knowledge from the materials is more meaningful obviously).

I got the call from HR today. Offer will be in the email box tomorrow. Lady seemed sketched out when I asked if she could email me back with confirmation there was no issues with the background check. I have zero reason for concern, but once I took a drug test and, even though I don't take drugs, did not get a call or information when I called for two weeks. The place lost my drug test and I had to take a new one. I was unemployed and desperately needed a job, so since that time I'm pretty keen on keeping up on who I speak to and getting communications sent to me promptly.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At this point in your career, assuming you can cover your living costs, experience should utterly trump salary expectations. Without experience, you have no bargaining power. Once you have a few years (3-4) under your belt, you have the power to start negotiating salary.

The point is, pursue the job that will give you most relevant career experience.