Amazon Windows VDI

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
Looks kinda cool, $35 a month isn't to bad, I guess.

https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Literally just read an article about this! While interesting, I do question if you would get the ROI. When I was at the university we often talked about this since a large number of people could use this setup without issue (all web apps and Office). So at first, $50 a month sounds like it would do it. But that is $600 a year and at that price you are talking about a new desktop for every user every year. With our discounts, we were slightly under $500 a year per machine and since most of our apps were web apps people could work from home anyhow (not that they ever did). Definitely a great concept and I do tend to think VDI will be the future, but right now it's tough to justify. Especially since they'll still need some form of hardware to run the virtual desktop so you're still spending cash on that.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The terminals aren't too terribly expensive.

Wyse V10L Thin Client (902132-01L,902138-01L,902138-51L) - Thin Client

Looks like they can be had for less than $200.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CapEx saving with VDI never made sense. OpEx savings, data mobility & security are the reasons to go VDI.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • 010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    $35/month is $1200 over 3 years.
    Cheaper to just buy a laptop...
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pretty sure you are missing the point, but VDI is a pretty complex issue, and your needs might not match the target audence. And, as Dave mentioned capital outlay isn't usually / yet the reason for VDI. Kinda like saying whats the point of dropbox when you can just buy USB drives...
    010101 wrote: »
    $35/month is $1200 over 3 years.
    Cheaper to just buy a laptop...
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I had to guess what technology is going to have the biggest growth in 2014 I would guess it is going to be BYOD & AWS is posed to be the leader in this area. I really dig the AD integration of their VDI as well as the mobile apps they are already pushing. I plan on giving this a try in the future.