Options

Is this answer a misprint?

sarahanandsarahanand Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
The following simple Q's from Todd Lammels book

If Host A is configured with an incorrect default gateway and all other computers and the router are known to be configured correctly, which of the following statements is TRUE?
A. Host A cannot communicate with the router.
B. Host A can communicate with other hosts in the same subnet.
C. Host A can communicate with hosts in other subnets.
D. Host A can communicate with no other systems

His answer

B. With an incorrect gateway, Host A will not be able to communicate with the router or beyond the router but will be able to communicate within the subnet.

Are A & B both correct here, right? Could this be a misprint?

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The host can communicate with the router on the same subnet, it cannot communicate to devices off the subnet as its default gateway is incorrect.
    So Todd is correct!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    sarahanandsarahanand Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EdTheLad, that's what I thought, yes. So A and B both stand correct...but why has he chosen just B as correct. Wit incorrect Gateway, Host A cannot communicate with the router but can with other host in the same subnet.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you missed what @EdTheLad mentioned. If that router is on the same subnet then they could communicate with each other. This distinction was not made so that is why "B" and only "B" is the correct answer.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A. Host A cannot communicate with the router.

Host A can communicate with the router, so this answer is incorrect. Host A does not need to have a default gateway configured to communicate with the default gateway. Host A will be able to ping the default gateway because the default gw is on the same subnet, however if Host A tries to ping a network on another subnet it will look for the ip address of the default gateway, since it is configured incorrectly the pings will be unsuccessful.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$