Options

OpeVPN Server

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
Before I roll my own - I was wondering if anyone was aware or can recommend an OpenVPN distro that is built for small embedded systems? I have googled a few sites but nothing seems to quite fit. I have some older equipment and I wanted to setup an OpenVPN server at home so I can connect into my home network when I am traveling.

I'm limited to a solution that can fit on 32Mb storage and 128Mb of memory. Yes - that's Mb.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might want to pick up a Raspberry Pi and run OpenVPN on it.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup, Raspberry Pi is the way to go. There are tutorials around on how to set it up. GL
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed. Raspberry Pi and OpenVPN is the way to go.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option would be the minimal install of Ubuntu - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Dd-wrt has it built in, at least mine does
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll probably just roll my own. It's a lot easier these days with BuildRoot. The Pi idea is interesting but I already have lots of excess hardware which I built so I don't want to have to design a rack-mounted housing for a Pi.

@GoodBishop - good tip about the Ubuntu minimum builds - I hadn't realized they were that compact. I will have to check them out for my next project.

@santaowns - thanks. I had explored OpenWRT as well. But it was a bit more than I was looking for.