Options

I passed the CISSP yesterday!

fuluprfulupr Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the CISSP yesterday and passed it! :) I can’t stress enough how USEFUL was to read both about the successes and the failures of other fellow members and thus now is my time to give my two cents back.

I studied for the CISSP for about three weeks. The only security certification I had before was the COMPTIA Sec+. I personally felt that having the Sec+ was a great foundation. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science. I had few courses back in college related to server/network.

My study plan was as follow:
1. The CISSP Study Guide.
2. The color coded summary that is around in the forum. I read it about three times.
3. I watched a CISSP training at FedVTE.
4. The cccure.org for the practice tests. I did about 1200 practice questions.

I took the English/Spanish version of the test. The questions were presented side-by-side in both languages. The translation was awful! However, I am fully bilingual and thus that was not a big deal. I just focused my attention on the English side.
I finished the test in about 3 hours and the rest of the time was for review. I left the place having 1 hour on my side. I had a few questions that were worded VERY badly. Also, given that it was a very long test, I felt kind of sleepy and had to take one break to eat something.

At the end, I feel that the CISSP expanded my knowledge about information security by giving my a basic but solid foundation. Hopefully, it will help me open a few doors in the sunshine state, Florida! :D

Hope this helps!

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats Boricua!
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congratulaciones
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    fulupr wrote: »
    I took the CISSP yesterday and passed it! :) I can’t stress enough how USEFUL was to read both about the successes and the failures of other fellow members and thus now is my time to give my two cents back.

I studied for the CISSP for about three weeks. The only security certification I had before was the COMPTIA Sec+. I personally felt that having the Sec+ was a great foundation. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science. I had few courses back in college related to server/network.

My study plan was as follow:
    1. The CISSP Study Guide.
    2. The color coded summary that is around in the forum. I read it about three times.
    4. I watched a CISSP training at FedVTE.
    3. The cccure.org for the practice tests. I did about 1200 practice questions.

I took the English/Spanish version of the test. The questions were presented side-by-side in both languages. The translation was awful! However, I am fully bilingual and thus that was not a big deal. I just focused my attention on the English side.
    I finished the test in about 3 hours and the rest of the time was for review. I left the place having 1 hour on my side. I had a few questions that were worded VERY badly. Also, given that it was a very long test, I felt kind of sleepy and had to take one break to eat something.

At the end, I feel that the CISSP expanded my knowledge about information security by giving my a basic but solid foundation. Hopefully, it will help me open a few doors in the sunshine state, Florida! :D

Hope this helps!

Congrats, FYI, you should put CISSP (Pending Endorsement) under your list of certifications since you're not officially certified yet. Congrats again.
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone for their congrats!

@TBRAYS, good observation!
  • Options
    Chassidic1Chassidic1 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    As that FedVTE worthwhile in your view? Also, is it free? And, What colored summary, got a link to this?
    A little while ago someone posted about a "sunflower" PDF. I downloaded and opened it: it is really well put together in my opinion; maybe that is it?

Thanks, and good luck in your journey,

Dovid
  • Options
    Hello Dovid,

Thanks! Yes, I do believe that the recorded training at the FedVTE was worth to watch. Not only because the instructor, in my opinion, did a good work but because when learning is always good to combine different sources that help you uses all your senses. FedVTE is free if you work for the Federal Government otherwise I don't think you can get access.

Yes, I am referring to that "sunflower" PDF. I do agree, it is very comprehensive and organized nicely.

I hope this help!

Thanks.
  • Options
    @fulupr are you in FL or D.C.?
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    @TBRAYS, I am in DC right now but looking forward for opportunities down in FL.
  • Options
    fulupr wrote: »
    @TBRAYS, I am in DC right now but looking forward for opportunities down in FL.

We should have a position to open up shortly, great company above market pay and benefits!
  • Options
    Chassidic1Chassidic1 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your prompt response, much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I don't (yet) work for the Federal Government; "oh well" on that one. But, the resources I am using - such as Conrad and Harris - worked for a lot of other people from posts I have read so far. So...

Good luck in your future endeavors!

D