Options

Question regarding Broadcast Frame L2

jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys, I'm a new comer here so please go easy on me. I have a question regarding broadcast frame and VLANs. My question, say for example a switch has 2 or 3 VLANs regardless of how many port members per VLANs there is.
Scenario: When one port sends a broadcast frame ie. port 1 vlan1. What happens next?

1. Do other ports on a different VLAN (ie. vlan2 and vlan3) receives it and simply drop the frame since they are not on the same broadcast domain?
2. Other ports on the different VLANs cannot see that broadcast frame at all since they are on a different broadcast domain?

If I were to answer this, I'd say that other ports will not see that broadcast frame since they are separated by different broadcast domain. Can someone confirm or clarify this? Much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    jayskata wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm a new comer here so please go easy on me. I have a question regarding broadcast frame and VLANs. My question, say for example a switch has 2 or 3 VLANs regardless of how many port members per VLANs there is.
    Scenario: When one port sends a broadcast frame ie. port 1 vlan1. What happens next?

1. Do other ports on a different VLAN (ie. vlan2 and vlan3) receives it and simply drop the frame since they are not on the same broadcast domain?

They will not do anything, there is nothing respond to since the broadcast will be throughout Vlan 1 only

2. Other ports on the different VLANs cannot see that broadcast frame at all since they are on a different broadcast domain?

Correct

If I were to answer this, I'd say that other ports will not see that broadcast frame since they are separated by different broadcast domain. Can someone confirm or clarify this? Much appreciated :)

That is the entire point of segmentation, you want to limit broadcasts right? "Hey, who is 192.168.1.220?".."Oh That's me man, bring that to me punk".."ok here you go man".."thanks"

Q: You speak Vlan 1 man?
    A: Shiiii, see mo fo budda layin me to da bon jack me up Vlan2 man"

You dig?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    ^ That's good!!! icon_lol.gif

The switch maps each physical port to the VLAN. Thus the broadcast is only forwarded to the ports in that VLAN. Ports in other VLANS never see the broadcast.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The other VLANs won't even be able to communicate between each other if you don't setup ROAS or use a Layer 3 switch. For broadcasts only that vlan will see it though, hence why each subnet has it's own broadcast address.
  • Options
    jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. Just wanna make sure that I understood this topic well enough. I'll be taking CCENT next month :)