Options

M$ Server 2003 -MSDTC questions

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am trying to figure out how serious of a problem some of these MSDTC warning events are and would like some input from the people here.

I get two "warnings" that occur every 2-3 days, they are always the same:

Event ID:53258 & Event ID:4143

M$ Technet says I "can safely ignore" these warnings, but I figured since I want I need to learn this stuff I should ask...why is this happening? Technet lists a cause, but the explanation is kind of over my head.
This issue occurs if Windows Server 2003 unsuccessfully tries to configure the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) service to use the default security settings. You experience this issue if the Network Service account is the account that the MS DTC service uses. Security settings for the MS DTC service are stored in the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC

The Network Service account has insufficient permissions to modify the security settings in the registry subkey.

I researched the Network service account and from what I can see its a default account used for administrative purposes. Was this only used on server 2003? Why does it not function correctly (in its default setting) with the MSDTC service?

The resolution for the problem is to "update the security component" which is a simple 7 step fix, but like I said before...Id like to know why this happens more than I would like to fix it.