Options

Becoming a Systems Administrator next summer

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I'm hoping I could get some advice if what I want to achieve is possible. I've been doing helpdesk/desktop support for about 6 years and I feel like I need to move on to bigger and better things and I really wanted to start looking into Systems Administrator position and start applying in the summer. I have some limited real life experience with Active Directory and Group Policy and have passed 70-290 few years ago. This year at my current position I'm in charge of setting up MS Configuration Manager which should be a fun experience. What would you guys say are some of the things that you recommend I concentrate on?

Thanks a lot and please feel free to ask any questions :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I became a sysadmin by going through the McHellDesk gauntlet at a previous employer then at a great helpdesk with the current one. An opening came up for an admin and I applied and was promoted. Check and see if there are internal positions posted within your company. At the same time, see about taking on some higher level work. I was always trying to help the engineers while on the helpdesk and they let me do things that really made me think. Wouldn't be in my position now if they hadn't helped me out.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    loss4words wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I'm hoping I could get some advice if what I want to achieve is possible. I've been doing helpdesk/desktop support for about 6 years and I feel like I need to move on to bigger and better things and I really wanted to start looking into Systems Administrator position and start applying in the summer. I have some limited real life experience with Active Directory and Group Policy and have passed 70-290 few years ago. This year at my current position I'm in charge of setting up MS Configuration Manager which should be a fun experience. What would you guys say are some of the things that you recommend I concentrate on?

Thanks a lot and please feel free to ask any questions :)

Thank you!

Considering you have only limited experience with AD it might be worthwhile to try and get some more hands on experience. Try maybe going down the Server 2008 cert path to build your skills and show you are willing to earn certs. SCCM will require AD knowledge so knowing how your current AD environment is setup is a must. You would probably want to get certified in SCCM as well.

I did helpdesk for a few years. Showed some initiative, got my certs and i was able to make the change.
  • Options
    loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!! I was thinking about going the Server 2008 certs route and possibly getting the SCCM certification as well, thank you!! I'm actually taking the SCCM week long training course in few weeks so that should be a good start.

I'm not very knowledgeable with scripting and can only write very simply batch files. Is learning a scripting language or possibly Powershell something I should look into as well? How about Linux/Unix operating systems? I would very much prefer working with Windows, but it seems that many systems administrators have to be able to work with Linux as well, is that correct?

I guess I'm just trying to make a list of things I should know/be comfortable with before applying for the position.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll want to get a good grasp of the basics of probably powershell if it's a Windows environment. Time and time again I have found myself needing to do something that a script would be much more efficient fore. I wish I had SCCM training when I began doing the admin work here. SCCM is not very intuitive and I had to fumble my way around until I figured it out on my own (With documentation)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yah you've been in helpdesk too long. Unless you really enjoy it, time to move up. I know a few guys that are getting paid handsomely for being the SCCM admin. Since your getting the oppurtunity to get work experience with SCCM and your doing the training, definetly get that cert. For sysadmin, I would be looking at MCSA, VCP, CCNA.

Take ownership of that SCCM project though, that could end up paying off for you big time later on.
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    You'll want to get a good grasp of the basics of probably powershell if it's a Windows environment. Time and time again I have found myself needing to do something that a script would be much more efficient fore. I wish I had SCCM training when I began doing the admin work here. SCCM is not very intuitive and I had to fumble my way around until I figured it out on my own (With documentation)

Same here. Updating SCCM from 2k7 to 2012 on my own. Big learning curve in addition to learning a new environment (new job).