Options

Odd situation - when is it appropriate to ask about pay - possible job jump?

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
This past summer I had an interesting position come my way. It was for a system administrator position. Seemed like Windows Server AD knowledge was a requirement, and networking knowledge. Basically, the company setup small networks for small local businesses and supported them. It wasn't really my idea of where I wanted to go, but sounded like great experience. As it turns out, they couldn't promise me full-time work and the pay was bad. Basically, the same as the internship I was working. I ended up taking a full-time 3rd shift job at a data center in a NOC position.

Well, I see the same company is hiring a full-time system administrator. The same requirements are necessary, Windows AD, VMWare, Citrix, and networking experience a must. I've kept in contact with the guy and asked him casually about it. He went over my updated resume, I didn't have my CCNA last time we met, and he really wants me to come in again to talk. I'm really interested in 1st shift work. This shift is killing me and putting a strain on my marriage. My wife has been complaning about never seeing eachother. Not only that, but we have a 10 month old son that I don't get to see because I am either sleeping, or a walking zombie.

My concern is money. I don't want to meet with the guy if the price is well below where I am at now. The guy runs a smaller business so I'm not sure he generally pays a lot. I don't want to waste both of our time if we aren't in the same ball park because like it or not, I depend on my current wage.

So I'm lost... stick it out and hope my online posted CCNA resume takes notice. Or take a position like this and just see where it goes...

thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd take the position if it's better pay, and keep the resume posted in the mean time, it can take a long damn time for a resume with a CCNA on it to get noticed for the right position.

Also network yourself on linkedin, best website for scoring quality job interviews I've ever used!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I would be upfront about it--remind him that the previous position turned out to be not inline with your career goals and compensation will be a make-or-break aspect of pursuing it further.

Personally, I would ask him what range the position is budgeted for. If it's close to what you expect then go for it--if it's super low initially then chances are this would be a repeat offender.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suggest going to the interview. It may end up being a waste of time, yet, it might turn into something quite nice. One never knows. Not to mention, the more experience you get interviewing, the more comfortable and confident you will be come. Even though I'm not looking for another job, I take any and every interview that comes my way. My reasoning for that is because I only recently entered the non-military job market, so I am way behind my peers when it comes to interviewing. And, more importantly, I did the career change thing, so I need to build up my technical interviewing skills.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thank you for the input guys.

Would it be acceptable to inquire about the salary range in this case via email? We have been emailing back and forth about the position. I just don't want to come across as unprofessional.

Also, thank you for the linkedin tip. I actually am in the process of setting that up now.

I feel very confident when it comes to interviews. I am to the point where if I get the interview, I'm fairly certain I can nail it and get the job. The challenging part is getting that inteview...
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I'd take the position if it's better pay, and keep the resume posted in the mean time, it can take a long damn time for a resume with a CCNA on it to get noticed for the right position.

Also network yourself on linkedin, best website for scoring quality job interviews I've ever used!

Could you please elaborate on your post? The OP stated that he turned it down last time because it wasn't better pay. Can you also help me understand what you mean about a CCNA on a resume taking a while?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not meet with the guy and talk some business?
  • Options
    tecke wrote: »
    Why not meet with the guy and talk some business?

Like I said, in the past I had a 2 hour interview with him only to find out at the end what the pay was going to be. I get along with the guy but would prefer not to sit through another interview, meet some members of the staff, only to find out in the end the same thing. I feel like I would be wasting a lot of people's time.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would ask him, via phone, what the expected salary range is. Tell him that you are looking for x to y range, if his is too small.

To be honest, I wouldn't use email as a way to negotiate or bring up salary. It seems a bit unprofessional. Then again, I'm still new to the civilian world, so my advice must be taken with a grain of salt.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pamccabe wrote: »
    Like I said, in the past I had a 2 hour interview with him only to find out at the end what the pay was going to be. I get along with the guy but would prefer not to sit through another interview, meet some members of the staff, only to find out in the end the same thing. I feel like I would be wasting a lot of people's time.

In that case, and especially because you've already been talking back and forth over email I don't see anything wrong with asking. Worst case it's just as low as last time and neither of you waste your time, best case it has gone up to an acceptable level and you can move forward. I know money always seems like such a difficult subject, but if you've already interviewed and know it was too low before you have nothing to lose by asking now.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ask about the salary as soon as possible. No point wasting anymore of your or his time if it's not going to work out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I would just phone him and ask what the pay range is. You obviously have maintained professional contact so it shouldn't be an issue to just reach out. On another note, you mentioned not seeing your wife or 10 month old. If you're anything like me, family is the most important thing, so to me it would be worth a small decrease in pay to move off the 3rd shift to a normal 9-5 so I can actually see my family.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just email him, and ask when is a good time to talk over the phone about the position, tell him it'll be a quick 10 minutes of his time. Then just tell him the position that you're in, and that you'd like to move back into a normal 9-5 job and they're your very interested in this position but you don't want to take too much of a pay cut. Also I'd let him know that your current position is causing some issues with your fam, seems like you two have built up a good enough relationship to express that.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ask about the salary as soon as possible. No point wasting anymore of your or his time if it's not going to work out.

What he said. I don't do interviews (phone or in person) unless I know the salary range before hand.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    While I don't disagree with the notion of requesting the range prior to an interview, personally, I would not, for several reasons. Any interview experience makes you better, whether you nail it, muddle through, or bomb it. If I were in the OPs position, I would interview solely for the opportunity to cultivate a professional relationship further, with an eye on the idea that down the road, he contact is more likely to keep me in mind when he has a specific need, and is more familiar with me after a couple of interviews, and therefore maybe more likely to offer an acceptable salary. I personally believe that growing such relationships is quite important, as they can often lead to referrals, as well as other opportunities down the road. Even if I was pretty sure I won't accept, I see more value from completing the interview. JMO. btw wtf is wrong my computer I still can't create new paragraphs on this site. gotta work on that.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    colemic wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with the notion of requesting the range prior to an interview, personally, I would not, for several reasons. Any interview experience makes you better, whether you nail it, muddle through, or bomb it. If I were in the OPs position, I would interview solely for the opportunity to cultivate a professional relationship further, with an eye on the idea that down the road, he contact is more likely to keep me in mind when he has a specific need, and is more familiar with me after a couple of interviews, and therefore maybe more likely to offer an acceptable salary. I personally believe that growing such relationships is quite important, as they can often lead to referrals, as well as other opportunities down the road. Even if I was pretty sure I won't accept, I see more value from completing the interview. JMO. btw wtf is wrong my computer I still can't create new paragraphs on this site. gotta work on that.

The issue is that the OP has already interviewed with the company and at the very end of the process found the salary was far below what he could expect. He already has a relationship with the owner and communicates with him openly. I don't see an issue in his case of just asking since the only issue last time was salary, no point in wasting hours of your time interviewing again, same position, same company, if you might have the exact same results in the end.
  • Options
    Agree to disagree then, I would take the interview for experience and to further the professional relationship. That's just me.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    colemic wrote: »
    Agree to disagree then, I would take the interview for experience and to further the professional relationship. That's just me.

Do you really want a prefessional relationship with someone trying to low ball you?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Yes. Just because he doesn't have the resources to pay for my skillset, doesn't mean that he doesn't know someone else who might be interested in hiring me. Or, be able to open other doors that would be beneficial to me in the future. Apparently I'm the minority but that's what I would do.
  • Options
    Great conversation here guys thank you so much!