Options

I had an interview with one of the Top tech company, what is next?

amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
I had a phone interview with a recruiter yesterday. This recruiter is a recruiter on campus, so is basically a direct recruiter. I'm applying for a Network Engineer position. I think I did good because at the end of the chat, the recruiter told me that you have what we are looking for a network engineer with python and unix experience. I sent her an email thanking for the call and she told me that she sent my resume to the hiring manager. I'm so excited that I could not sleep last night. Right now, I'm a full mode reading all my notes and study in case they want me to move for the next technical interview.
David G.
http://gomezd.com <
My Tshoot test Blog
http://twitter.com/ipnet255

Comments

• Options
    amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
    Do anybody have experience getting hiring with a big tech company? The recruiter told me that it can take sometime.
    David G.
    http://gomezd.com <
    My Tshoot test Blog
    http://twitter.com/ipnet255
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    It really depends how desperate they are to fill the position. If they need someone right away they'll move quickly, run you through the interview process, and make you an offer fairly quickly. If they are just shopping around, they might come back to you a month later.

Who knows, right?
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sending the thank you email was a good move. IMHO I would wait at least a week before following up with an email.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I think I know which company you are referring to. If so, then yeah it may take some time.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Expect anywhere from 4-7 interviews depending on the level of interest and position.

- B Eads
  • Options
    edzyyyedzyyy Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I was going to go to 7 interviews for a job it had better be a pretty high up position. heck, even 4 interviews is pushing it in my book for anything but really technical positions.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In my 15 years in IT I've never been through more than 4 interviews, including the phone screen. Any more than 4 would tell me the company does not have their sh*t together.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    For Engineer positions you go through a ton of interviews. For the job I'm at currently at, I went through 6 interviews. 1 Phone from HR, 1 In Person HR and another in person with National Director, 3 Technical Phone interviews.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had 4 interviews for a NOC position, so I'm learning it's common too.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    6 interviews over a span of 2 weeks was the most for me: HR, Hiring Manager over the phone and then also in person, interviewed by 2 other Sr's on staff, and finally CIO.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I just got a position with a very large company, it took a looooooooooooong time, and tons of interviews
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    The TechnomancerThe Technomancer Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm waiting for someone of these premier firms who adopted the legendary Google Interview Format to adopt Google's new data showing that you really don't get any better outcomes once you've done a phone and in-person interview. Couple that with the recruiting data out there that shows that the longer your time from initial contact to offer, the worse the quality of the talent that you're hiring is going to be, and I wonder why any "top tech" firm does anything more than a call to schedule a phone interview, the phone interview, and the face-to-face interview.

Good talent goes fast. If a company wants the best, they need to do these four things:

1. Compress the interview schedule. Contact on Monday for a phone screen Tuesday, with a face to face on Wednesday or Thursday.
    2. Decide fast. If you're impressed with the interview, have an offer ready.
    3. That offer needs to be 90th percentile pay or higher.
    4. That offer needs to be exploding (i.e. -- accept by end of day or end of week).

You have to have all four. If you're slow, doesn't matter what you pay, someone will snatch them up first before you ever get them in the office. If you get them in the office but wait to see who else comes through, someone will snatch them up while you wait. If your aren't paying for A players, you won't get them -- plus, the comp needs to be high enough to take that out of the candidate's decision calculus to justify the exploding offer. If you offer doesn't have a time limit, you're asking to get it shopped around.

...I've had to wear the "talent recruiting/hiring manager" hat way too much lately, dammit. Can't wait until this company gets big enough to hire a dedicated technical recruiter.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.