Options

Master's in IT or MBA??

Malita215Malita215 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
I obtained my B.S in Information Security back in Dec 2012. I know that I want to continue going to school and get my Master’s, but I am torn between what route to take.

I want to be well rounded, but I do not want to pursue a degree that is not going to be interesting and I fail.

I was looking at getting my Master’s in another IT field centered around Security or take the business route and get a MBA. I really like the program at PSU World Campus: Homeland Security, Information Security and Forensics Option. And I’m pretty sure I can find a good MBA program.

Just not sure what to do.
Master's in Cyber & Information Security | B.S. Information Technology: Information Security

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about posting this exact same thing yesterday. In to see the responses :D
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I don't really have a strong argument one way or the other but this does raise a couple questions.

I would be highly surprised if your BS would lead directly into a MBA program. What additional coursework would be required for you to even be accepted into a MBA program? You likely have none of the lower level business knowledge/coursework that 4-year business administration degrees provide.

Also, are you looking to stay technical or move into management at some point?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I would be highly surprised if your BS would lead directly into a MBA program.

There are plenty of MBA programs that can be entered without business undergraduate degree. Yes, well-known B&M may require a business bachelor's, but even many picky programs will let people enter with some "leveling" coursework.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did the business route (MBA) and be prepared to be type casted into a business role. I have offered to provide technical assistance in several areas of the business but they want me to mine data and provide different reporting and system modeling. I am forever (at least in this company) removed from IT. I still write code (script), but infrastructure or anything in that scope is a mere thing of the past.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    I'm not sure how valuable MBAs are these days. Like N2IT said, prepare to be pigeonholed into a business role. If I were to go for masters, I would go for IT since I have an undergrad in a business subject. If you know you want to work in IT, do the masters in IT.
  • Options
    @DD - Exactly it's almost like you have an MBA how could you have time or energy to be good at IT. It almost wipes the slate clean when get an MBA except for experience. Certifications etc are no longer noticed. I have had 5 interviews since obtaining my MBA and they never mention the certifications it's always the MBA and I have been turned down for technical jobs because of the MBA. I am now in a hybrid position which is about the best I can hope for. (That's okay though I like what I do).
  • Options
    I am also starting to realize that information technology is a lot more useful than information systems because it prepares you for more technical infrastructure roles. An information systems major without IT certifications will more likely be limited to business analysis positions. Information systems is a more viable choice if you have previous work experience in technical domains of IT.

I'm getting the impression that business degrees, while useful, are overrated in the field of IT. That being said, combining a finance degree with IT certifications or a masters in IT or a second bachelors in IT can be a useful option if done right. Information systems is still a good degree, but you should have technical knowledge in perhaps networking or system administration.
  • Options
    Business degrees are completely overrated in the IT field. I know a few guys who knew people that got into programming and other development positions because of our connections despite our business backgrounds. A lot of them are successful developers still writing Java. However they have to be the exception to the rule.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »
    Business degrees are completely overrated in the IT field.

This is a blanket statement and false and bad advice. And I normally agree with you on everything you post, but this is wrong.

For one, within IT, there are business analyst roles, IT project management roles, and other hybrid roles, and within IT security you have policy & governance roles, audit roles, and compliance roles. And in IT as a whole you have managers, directors, and CIO/CISO.

With all of these, having a business degree to go with your technical skills is a huge advantage. In today's job market, especially within large corporations, being able to translate technical needs and solutions into savings or adding to the corporations bottom line is a big thing. Also being able to communicate and go between end users, technical teams and executive management is huge, although you don't NEED a business degree for these things, having one does help.

I have about 7 years InfoSec experience, with another 2 years of varied tech experience, and having completed my BSBA has only helped and has been noted as a positive when interviewing and the managers acknowledge it's nice having someone with the technical background but having the business degree.

Now I would agree that if you're in a pure networking role and thats all you want to do, it would only be advantageous to get a business degree if you want to move into management, but in other areas, especially security, having a business degree can be huge asset. I was just shortlisted and had my final round of interviews for a VP Information Security position at another large bank, and everyone from the VP and SVP I first interviewed for, up to the Director and another SVP I last interviewed with loved my combination of business education and security work experience. And that has been my experience in other interviews as well.

So maybe we should say that, depending on what area of IT you work in, what type of employer you prefer to work for, and what you want to do, a business degree is not the best option.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal, how did you manage to get your technical experience before you got your business degree? I'm considering going on a technical path with my Finance degree. I really want to get my CCNA after I get my A+, but it seems like an uphill trek.
  • Options
    JoJo - There is a couple things at play here. First the audience on this forum is generally looking to break in the technical side so I would contend that getting a bachelors in computer science, computer engineering, information technology would add far greater value than a bachelors in business administration, for most willing IT professionals. I agree there is a place in IT for a business degree like you mentioned for IT project management, analyst, hybrid roles, etc. I think for technical roles my statement holds true and that was the intent behind the message. The OP mentioned being fearful of losing interest and failing that doesn't sound like someone who is fully committed to an MBA. I think getting a degree to fill in knowledge is a risky strategy and one I don't care for to much. It sounds like the OP does have interest in security and that would be my advice to them. Security is still trending up it's here to stay IMO it really is a no brainer for the OP. Worthless is very strong words and very unwise for me to use, but I do feel there are a lot better degrees to get for IT professionals than Business Administration. (Of course unless you want to get into managing resources and budgets or business / QA analyst positions.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If one wanted to become management in the IT field, wouldn't a MBA be better suited for that person than a MS?

What types of roles would someone with a MS look for if it isn't in the business side of things?

Those are the two questions I think are most relevant to this topic, answer those and the thread is done.
  • Options
    JoJoCal, how did you manage to get your technical experience before you got your business degree? I'm considering going on a technical path with my Finance degree. I really want to get my CCNA after I get my A+, but it seems like an uphill trek.

I completed an AS in computer networking from a tech school while working in a customer service position at a mid-size business (I had been working a corporate office job since my 19th birthday, and by this time had 4 years of corporate customer service experience). I then applied to a PC Tech position that the company had in their envelope manufacturing warehouse and got the job as it was only posted internally and I got the job based on my AS and the fact I'm a good interviewer. It was a JOAT position and I handled end user support and desktop support, server and computer hardware, security, networking and some software support. Did that for a year and a half before the position was eliminated (that piece of business was sold to private equity and chopped up). I had friends that worked at a large national finance and investment firm and so I ended up getting a second level desktop support job there, in 2006. I then got my current InfoSec position there in 2008.

For your position, you might be better off using that finance degree to get a position at a company where you think you would have a good chance at doing what I did, moving over into technology. If you network with the management on the IT side I'm sure once you have CCNA and maybe a MS cert, you would have a shot at getting in.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    *snip*

Yea I guess it was pegging a business degree as worthless in IT that offended, but admittedly I am biased on the issue icon_wink.gif

You're right it depends on what a person wants. The OP needs to really specify more on where they want to go, what really interests them in security. If they want to go on the policy or management side, then a business degree would do them well.

I actually have been doing research on LinkedIn and job sites at InfoSec leadership roles and the number of people who hold high level or management security positions that have an MBA, dwarfs the number of people in those positions that hold an MSISA type degree. And for obtaining security management positions, especially CISO roles, an MBA trumps an MS degree. From what I'm finding anyway.
  • Options
    JoJo you make a good point I noticed that as well. However most of the people I am referring too are a little bit older 40 - 50 but I agree a lot of them have MIM or MBA's or some other graduate level degree that has a heavy management lean.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally, I am of the mind that instead of getting an MBA try to work with teams on the business side. I've been technical my entire career, but have been part of a ton of teams with a business direction. In IT we have to be more business minded, but not to the extent that we are all business. My first boss out of college was a programmer by trade and VP of IS. He was getting his MBA and literally carrying a 4.0 while working 60 hours a week. I once asked him if he was learning anything and he said no. I followed with how it was he was getting the 4.0 if he wasn't learning anything? His reply? He had over 10 years of experience working with ERP systems (literally wrote large portions of the one we were using) and that required that he work with the business side to understand how it all fit together. IT people are systematic in our thinking. In business, in my opinion, it's all about systematic thinking and flows (logic). So I honestly believe we have the foundation and working with the business end will give you the knowledge to continue that trend.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    While I have an MBA and don't regret getting it I would of been much better off getting something not as generalized IMO. I would of liked to get a degree with more IT involved like Computer Science Masters or something similar. I feel my project management knowledge and management experience really filled a lot of knowledge gaps including budgeting, resource utilization, project delivery, planning, execution and a lot more business administration type functions. I have a lot of knowledge gaps within the CS world and that sometimes hinders me. Integration between systems and some of the common framework in app dev efforts and data warehousing architecture sometimes blows right over my head.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    North Central U has an MBA in InfoSec, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?
  • Options
    Malita215Malita215 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I don't really have a strong argument one way or the other but this does raise a couple questions.

I would be highly surprised if your BS would lead directly into a MBA program. What additional coursework would be required for you to even be accepted into a MBA program? You likely have none of the lower level business knowledge/coursework that 4-year business administration degrees provide.

Also, are you looking to stay technical or move into management at some point?

I was looking to stay more technical. I really don't see myself being in management. Maybe that will change, but I rather stay technical.
    Master's in Cyber & Information Security | B.S. Information Technology: Information Security
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    North Central U has an MBA in InfoSec, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?
    Thank you for sharing this +repicon_thumright.gif. I was not aware that any college offered MBA with a concentration in information security. My original plan was to get graduate degree from WGU in Information Security and Assurance once I finish up my undergraduate computer science degree in network security. After I gained the graduate degree from WGU, I planned on taking their MBA in IT Management. However, after reviewing that website and reading on the courses, it may be more beneficial to get the MBA from Northcentral University since they offer a MBA specialization in Computer and Information Security, which is the path I want to take in IT. The cost of $20,630 tuition may be a lot more expensive than WGU's tuition (I know of a few committed people who got their WGU MBA in a year), but NCU's MBA is ACBSP accredited. A lot of other MBA programs (and online ones) that have that accreditation are either more expensive or do not have that type of specialization. I have been looking online for a few MBA programs, but this slipped past my radar somehow, so thank you again for sharing!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you mentioned security as being an interest - take a look at the Centers of Academic Excellence website (Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS) and see if any school might work for grad school.
  • Options
    RoyalRaven wrote: »
    Since you mentioned security as being an interest - take a look at the Centers of Academic Excellence website (Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS) and see if any school might work for grad school.

I've looked at that page for a while when deciding upon a good field to specialize in before I decided upon information assurance as a field I wanted to invest in. That was one of the reasons why I considered WGU graduate degree, but I seriously consider going for a doctorate in information assurance. As I did research on it (and techexams helped a lot), I was considering Capella and Dakota State University. Some friends in the field made me realize that with the cost of Capella, a B&M school would be a better option. After my graduate degree and perhaps working in the field will help me conclude whether or not to make that investment. Perhaps, by then, my employer may be willing to invest in me or have a partnership discount with that university. But after viewing the NSA's CAE in Cyber Operations for academic years 2012 - 2017, I have been considering Northeastern University for where I would hope to gain a doctorate since they have a nice co-op study program (great for setting up experience for prospective employers) and a few InfoSec sites and magazines stated they were one of the best in the field. I would love to use that college's reputation for my resume's credibility.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you're considering Dakota State, I would recommend that you pursue their Master's program, as their Doctorate program is very competitive, and they show a preference to their own Masters students.

If you're considering an MBA based upon programmatic accreditation, AACSB is the top-flight certification.

You can try the search engine at "geteducated.com" and you can search for 100% Online MBAs with AACSB accreditation. Then, look for B&M schools in the search results. You can even sort by "cost."

You can also search for 100% online, regionally accredited Masters level programs.

You might be pleasantly surprised with the results that you get.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Note: That site is not all-inclusive. You may be able to find better values, if you look around enough (especially wherever your home state is). Still, it is a good spot to help you get started, so you can see what might be out there.

Also, I frequent the forums at degreeinfo.com.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    Hope this helps.

Yes, this indeed helped icon_thumright.gif. I would have replied sooner, but I spent hours enthralled on that site that I eventually feel asleep icon_wink.gif. Thank you very much for your helpful advice +rep. I haven't had a chance to search too much about local colleges utilizing that website. I have tried to search around before in my state of North Carolina and also used the NSA's Centers of Academic Excellence Institutions. When it comes to IT graduate degrees, almost all of the colleges only offer "Computer Science" with no specialization/concentration. That is when I made the jump to start searching for online or distance learning degrees. From what I found, most online schools are over-priced for the convenience of online, while some distance learning have out of state charges.

My undergraduate degree is an accelerated bachelor science degree with a concentration in network security. I am really hoping for is a graduate degree that can maintain that concentration or expand on it (like information assurance). That is what drew me to WGU's MS in Information Security and Assurance and Northcentral University's MBA concentration in Computer and Infomation Security. The cost for those are exceptionally reasonable to me for what they offer. Unfortunately, by choosing to take the computer science graduate degrees in my area, I would have to take some extra fundamental classes (like calculus and some C+) that was not offered in my undergraduate degree program before I can start my core classes and most of their core curriculum has a software focus. That is the reason why it may be more beneficial for me to take graduate science degree in information security, cyber-security, information technology, etc. and not a computer science degree. I have hopes that those degrees and certs would be able to aid me in landing me a good career that I could use to build as a stepping stone to a doctorate (if the enthusiasm doesn't burn out by then).
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hmm. I may have to look into Dakota State for their DSci program... only downside is I am pretty much tapped out on GI Bill funds. icon_sad.gif But looking at their program site, they can waive up to 27 hours if you have an MIS degree... which I would hope that WGU's MSISA would be considered as. Lots of decisions to make.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    Hmm. I may have to look into Dakota State for their DSci program... only downside is I am pretty much tapped out on GI Bill funds. icon_sad.gif But looking at their program site, they can waive up to 27 hours if you have an MIS degree... which I would hope that WGU's MSISA would be considered as. Lots of decisions to make.

I had the same train on thought when I was reading Dakota State's Doctorate of Science in Information Systems. I was hoping for that too, however, I have my doubts about that since WGU MSISA is a MS in Information Security and Assurance while the Dakota State degree that they offer as MSIS is a MS in Information Systems. They may not count the WGU MSISA degree for the 27 hours waiver. Of course, only they can truly make that call on what credits get transferred and waived.