Options

Studying for CCNP and/or CCSP

Hey Folks,

I have a couple questions for all. I read a lot of posts regarding taking the CCNP before the CCSP because it might be easier to do. I think it depends on the individual on what track they are mostly interested in.

I got my CCNA 2 years ago and was going to study for the CCNP but as soon as I picked up books for the CCNP BSCI I would fall asleep after 2 pages. Those CCNP books are just boring to me and it is really hard to stay focused on the topic. So I started looking into Security+ and then picked up the books for the CCSP. I have to say the difference for me between the CCNP and the CCSP is that I am very interested in security and not that much in routing and switching and therefore the CCSP books are just so easy to read and to comprehend. I guess it just depends what the indiviual is interested in.

Getting to my actual question. Does someone have an idea how to get something like a part time apprenticeship to get some sort of exposure to the Security Field. I would like to spend some time helping out in a company and looking over other peoples shoulder to get some more hands on and experience working in the Security field. CCSP is my goal!

I would appreciate any advise!

Comments

• Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm with you. I'm very interested in security, and possibly looking into the CEH course. I'd like to know a ton more about testing and penetration/hardening (tell me please that 2 drunk guys didn't define those terms).

The security+ and CCSP are the most interesting to me. I'd be interested in the CISSP, but don't have anywhere near the qualifications yet, and don't want to be a paper tiger.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    skully93 wrote:
    I'd be interested in the CISSP, but don't have anywhere near the qualifications yet, and don't want to be a paper tiger.
    If you don't qualify for CISSP, you might for the SSCP (which requires a single year of experience. Or you can go for the ISC2 Asssociate option (available for SSCP and CISSP exam), which will allow you to take the same test, and automatically make you an CISSP or SSCP as soon as you reach the required years of experience. The reason I'm saying this is that the CISSP (without the required years of experience) is a paper cert anyway as it covers concepts and theory, not configuration tasks. I'm not saying I recommend CISSP over other sec certs when you don't have the experience, just that it can be a great and complete (wide) foundation for more practical security certs.