800 Series Routers??

CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
I have already invested into a higher performance laptop that will be used mostly for virtualization with VirtualBox and GNS3. My want to build a Lab with the end goal in making a Domain environment V-Network. I have acquired some decommission equipment from my workplace, 2x 2500 Series Rtrs and 4x 3500s SWs that I had for a while but have yet to play with. I have been also recycling old laptops and PCs to experiment Linux with.

I had been thinking of investing into an 800 series router to add to the lab as well as for personal use. I was wondering if an 800 series Rtr is a wise ROI to add to a lab?? Reason I ask, I have seen and read about people talking about their labs, but never really mention using an 800 for their lab.

Comments

• antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have an 860 series CISCO router with Wifi as my home router. I bought it new for about 600 bucks as a home router & a place to keep my command line CISCO skills sharp. You can find these devices used including the 850 series which lets you use a GUI interface if you need.

It's expensive, but honestly it's a GREAT idea to get hands on. The 800 series (get the cheapest one) give you the full meal deal. You'll get wifi (a separate component in software but built into the same box), you'll get VPN capabilities, etc. I used mine to set up Direct Access with Server 2012 recently.

One thing. Unless you're working in CISCO, it takes a bit to configure and secure these things. It's something that requires you sit down & read about (especially the security part). I found having the actual device better than Packet Tracer or whatever that CISCO program is called.
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Wow, this is the feedback I was looking for, Lol. I have a gripe amount of the older equipment as well, but was looking for something that could bring in new life and features that I would see more in a Commercial/Industry environment. I was doing my research, and found the 860s being the cheaper but most bang for buck package. The Lower 800s look like access points and don't look like it has much features to begin with, the 860s seem to have exactly what I am looking to play around with and comes in a deal I can pick up when Tax returns comes around.

What exact model do you have and where did you purchase your Rtr?? The GUI isn't all that important to me, since I prefer the CLI to learn and increase the depth of my craft. Do you have any other advice to offer?? Thinking of getting the 861W, have found some available under $500...
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought my router through my employer. It's an 861W with the W meaning wireless. It's designed for a small business, but it's full featured device and has some great security features on it. You can also create a VLAN's and it has a console/external modem port so you could dial into it from a remote location. Lots of features and I think it's a great router to learn on for what I think is a decent price. With this router & a couple of used switches you've got a home lab for much less than the cost of CCNA training in a school.

I now use it for my home internet router. The great part is you have to update the IOS so you get your occasional hands on with patches, etc. This thing is rock solid too man. Unlike Linksys stuff, you never have to reboot it and I put it under load copying a huge amount of data (50 gb) across wireless to see how it handled it. It didn't so much as even sputter. You can also configure it to use RADIUS on a server and if you have a home Active Directory you can require AD credentials for wireless and I think there is a way to set up "guest wireless" too. I've just never tried.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I dropped £1500 on a 14 piece lab for my CCIE :)

800's are great little boxes, rather versatile.
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought a 871w a couple years ago for about $150.00, it works nice. later I setup a 2651xm right behind my modem. The 2651xm can then connect to your switch, then you can add in any wireless devices that you want to practice setting up hot spots. Anyway the 871w is great, the memory can upgrade so you can run IOS 15. The wifi card inside looks just like the ones from laptops of that same generation. At the agency we had some 881w's and some 891w's, in use and, just laying around. I noticed a big difference in speed when I quit lynksys as my front end.
  • 416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see for the 871W router there are ios 15.1 advance IP services images available (c870-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M7.bin) however do they require licenses?

I read that ios 15 requires licenses to unlock certain parts of the IOS feature set to be available. Does that apply to the 800 series router, specifically the older generation 871w router?

Reason I ask is I recently seen an 871W with c870-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M7.bin image however I did not see any "license" commands on it. =\
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    While I do like the 800 series routers, you can get more bang for cheaper from ebay. The 1841 routers are around 80-150 and you can get a 1242 AP for around 30-50.
  • Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm selling my 861W for 350$+shipping if you're interested... Clearing out my unused gear...
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...