Problems studying for Linux+ LX-101

2»

Comments

• j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I just thought I would share this as a lot of people seem to struggle with Linux.

I just signed up for linuxacademy.com Its $38 for 3 months of use and comes with VMs that you can spin up in less than a minute (a variety of distros). So far the material seems pretty good, additionally there are notes for each section of videos. The price seems incredibly reasonable. Out of all the materials I've looked at, I'm really liking this course. I think between this course CBT Nuggets and the Roderick book I will have enough main resources. I hope to pass the first test by Mid March the latest.
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the poster above. The LinuxAcademy site has really helped me get on track. I commented in this very thread a while ago was really bashing my head against the wall. Their videos are informative and I love the access to the servers. I really recommend checking it out if you are struggling like I was.
  • gshaw0gshaw0 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thing is it sounds like most of these sites are learning materials, all well and good but also need realistic exam questions to focus in on what you need for that bit of paper at the end. I can set up and run a CentOS VM with various web server and database apps on with the help of man pages, Google and IT-tech logic thought but at present give me the exam questions and it's a different ball game icon_sad.gif

For example I had a fantastic app for PRINCE2 that had hundreds of exam-format questions, could either run it in learning mode with explanations. I did the questions one chapter in advance of what I was learning, which showed me how much I could figure out by pure logic alone and which bits to read up on to gain a thorough understanding. Passed that one with no problem and felt well prepared knowing I'd probably seen half the test questions in some form or other during the prep.

The closest I've found with my colleague who is also doing Linux+ is an iPhone app but the question bank is pretty limited (and possibly inaccurate but at least the questions look vaguely along the lines of what you'd expect to be in the exams)

If someone can make that for Linux+ it would make life so much easier as it then becomes something you can dip into rather than having to sit down and focus solid for hours on end just to get through one chapter.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    gshaw0 wrote: »
    Thing is it sounds like most of these sites are learning materials, all well and good but also need realistic exam questions to focus in on what you need for that bit of paper at the end. I can set up and run a CentOS VM with various web server and database apps on with the help of man pages and Google but at present give me the exam questions and it's a different ball game icon_sad.gif

For example I had a fantastic app for PRINCE2 that had hundreds of exam-format questions, could either run it in learning mode with explanations. I did the questions one chapter in advance of what I was learning, which showed me how much I could figure out by pure logic alone and which bits to read up on.

The closest I've found with my colleague who is also doing Linux+ is an iPhone app but the question bank is pretty limited (and possibly inaccurate but at least the questions look vaguely along the lines of what you'd expect to be in the exams)

If someone can make that for Linux+ it would make life so much easier as it then becomes something you can dip into rather than having to sit down and focus solid for hours on end just to get through one chapter.

I like where you are going with this, however I have one concern. Questions and detailed answers take a lot of time to put together. Writing a book/course/etc is already really time consuming and adding the Q&A into that as well might just take too long to produce valuable content. Now add in the fact that someone somewhere is going to leak the contents of your hard work into a torrent sight and it becomes really discouraging icon_sad.gif

I believe some of the Cisco books follow the format where you answer 10 - 25 questions at the beginning of each chapter, score yourself, and then dig into the areas you are weak. The only different is the answers are: A, B, C, D...no explanations.
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ j.petrov / south

thanks for the tip about linuxacademy. I have just visited their website and I must say that I'm really tempted to get a quartely subscription.

the only question that I have related to this exam is whether there are any time limits between the time that you take the first exam (101) and the second exam (102). so for example, if i take the first exam this March, does Comptia or LPIC specify that the second exam must be taken successfully within an "x" amount of time (after completion of the 101 exam).
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes this looks very appealing.
  • me874yme874y Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets videos are great help. Im almost done in studying LPIC 1 101, will take the test soon! icon_cool.gif