Options

Better way to change interface configuration

Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
Good day,
We have received a bunch of junipers and are doing some migration to them. The problem I am having is that each time I want to flap an interface or change speed I have to save configuration (commit) and this takes about 5 minutes. Is there a better way to do this or is juniper just crap?

Thank you
Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It is a crappy thing about Junos unfortunately. If you have access to drop into the shell you can do ifconfig up/down command like any unix machine. I usually don't recommend playing around in there if you don't know what you are doing though.

The bigger question is why are your commits taking five minutes (or even close as I assume you are exaggerating a bit)? I've never seen a properly functioning box take nearly that much time.

set interfaces x disable
    commit
    rollback 1
    commit

Shouldn't take much time at all.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I might be exagerating a little bit. It takes about 1 minute to 2 minutes (I timed it this time) but this seems much much longer when you are on the phone with the DataCenter technicians waiting to change the speed on a port to bring it up. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While commit might take a bit it honestly has saved me a couple times. Imagine when you accidentally make a typo on cisco gear. It gets implemented right then and there. Depending on what the typo did you could lose communication to the device which would be even worse than waiting that couple of minutes for a commit. Another handy feature in the same type of example would be a commit confirmed.
  • Options
    Honestly you shouldnt be touching this if you don't know what you are doing. This reminds me of windows that asks you for a confirmation of everything you do: Are you sure you want to move this file to the recycling bin? Are you sure you want to permenantly delete these items?
  • Options
    Even people who know what they are doing make mistakes. I know I have. The best thing about the commit though is the batch changes. You don't have to jump through hoops trying to do everything in the right order to not lose connectivity sometimes with a Cisco box.
  • Options
    Just wanted to update with a faster way to do this. One of the other engineers suggested this:

start shell user root
    ifconfig ge-x/x/x down
    ifconfig ge-x/x/x up

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    That was my suggestion to you!
  • Options
    Oh it was! Sorry Networker, didnt know what you meant.