Options

What IT position did you work at in a hospital and did you move to a higher level

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All, I am starting my new job in the first week of December at big hospital near me doing Help desk Technician position. Pretty excited since I will be learning new applications and little of desktop support. I will be making money in the $20's which is higher then my last job. One thing I ask everyone is if anyone has had experience working help desk at a hospital and what positions have you moved up to and what kind of positions can someone in a help desk at a hospital move up to. I'm pretty sure there a lot of growth. Has anyone been trained on the EPIC application that hospital now use.

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I started in desktop support at a fairly large hospital. I went from there to supervising the desktop and helpdesk teams. Then I moved over to the network/systems team where I currently work. Hospitals these days are rapidly changing environments with lots of big technologies that span all vendors and platforms. Study your butt off, learn everything you can, and never say "that's not my job". That's how you move up.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone, Has anyone had experience working IT at a hospital before and is aware of the EPIC application that all hospitals use. I am starting my new job in a hospital first week of December and excited about it. Just wanted to get anyone opinions about IT healthcare and where you can move up.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Like the post above said, you can move up EVERYWHERE. There are always positions opening up for Server/MS teams, Networking Teams, and when I worked there EPIC was becoming the big thing but i heard it isn't too bad to learn.

When slow just always ask if there is any extra work you can do is the quickest way to get experience.