Redbull...Youngbucks and Subnetting...wow...

tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well as Dec 1st i will be unemployed...after 12 years of working on DoD contracts the sequestration and the lack of congress to pass a budget....The low-balling contractors are cutting to the bone to get the contracts.....on that note The young bucks with the certs will get the jobs and the old guys as my self...(39 years old mind you) with the real world knowledge...are out...so its time to retool and leave the world of ISDN... POTS LINES and 66 blocks behind and learn config the 3750 switchs for the voip with the vlans and also don't for get port sec. and from time to time have to config that port on the 3750 with 2 mac address ...one for the nic and one for the voip phone......so with that said I would like to say I plan on taking my CCNA around the 1st of the year then on to the ccnp....

I have been given the good god Go ahead from the powers from above...The boss...The wife...lol to take the next 45 days to hammer in as much info as i can get and do what I can do to put down on paper what certs that I can get and by god and the 24 packs of redbull 24oz that i will be getting I will....( She is a RN AND WILL BE WORKING MUCK OVER TIME...)...Save me....lol

Now here here is what I would like to call my plan of attack...I have a home ccna lab thats 3 switchs and 3 routers...packet tracer 6...Cisco press icnd 1 and 2 and also lammles book...so as you can see there are going to be late nights with lots of redbulls and may need some help.....

As of right now I would like to know how you got your head around subnetting.... to pass the ccna test...I have the cbt nuggets....is that the style of learning subnetting for the ccna cert to pass and get real world stuff or is there other was to learn subnetting on ipv4 and what do i have to look foreword to ipv6 ....lol.....thanks

feel free to look me up on facebook Travis Shaffer.......please send all redbull coupons to me .....lol...and look out for the young buck and there certs..........

Comments

• AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Sorry for the bad news but congratulations on taking the first step. Now subnetting, what is your questions exactly? I always tell people subnetting is like ridding a bike. Once you take the time to learn it you can recall it easily at anytime.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just remember this group of numbers.

128-192-224-240-248-252-254-255

Everything revolves around finding the block sizes. "See Lammle's book"
    2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512 and so on.
    If you know the subnet then you can find the block size that will show you the hosts.
    "See Wendell's book for the magic number"
    256 - 224=32 block size
    32-2=30 hosts
    network range 0-32-64-96-128-160-192-224-256
    first block 0-32, Network ID 0, Broadcast 31, 1st host 1, last host 31
    CIDR notation, just write 1&0's
    /22= 11111111.11111111.11111100.00000000
    remember these numbers again 128-192-224-240-248-252-254-255
    The ones represent the respective number in the 3rd octet 111111=252
    So the /22 = 255.255.252.0

it will take time for this to make sense but when you finally get it, it's a right of passage for prospect CCNA students. Good luck in your studies and use the Packet Tracer as much as you can.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I am sorry to hear this but you should know by now that in the IT industry you must keep yourself up to date in your technologies and certifications. Don't despair, if you've been working hard at your job and have all this experience, you should be able to bang out these certs quickly.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the bad news but congratulations on taking the first step. Now subnetting, what is your questions exactly? I always tell people subnetting is like ridding a bike. Once you take the time to learn it you can recall it easily at anytime.

On subnetting they way Jeremy is teaching on cbt nuggets is look at the ip and ask how meany subnets you need and do the math...But is this the only way to use subnetting...? what Will i need to work ith ip add in the real world...
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Just remember this group of numbers.

128-192-224-240-248-252-254-255

Everything revolves around finding the block sizes. "See Lammle's book"
    2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512 and so on.
    If you know the subnet then you can find the block size that will show you the hosts.
    "See Wendell's book for the magic number"
    256 - 224=32 block size
    32-2=30 hosts
    network range 0-32-64-96-128-160-192-224-256
    first block 0-32, Network ID 0, Broadcast 31, 1st host 1, last host 31
    CIDR notation, just write 1&0's
    /22= 11111111.11111111.11111100.00000000
    remember these numbers again 128-192-224-240-248-252-254-255
    The ones represent the respective number in the 3rd octet 111111=252
    So the /22 = 255.255.252.0

it will take time for this to make sense but when you finally get it, it's a right of passage for prospect CCNA students. Good luck in your studies and use the Packet Tracer as much as you can.

I will print this out and study this...kinda like the color code for cable splicers....thanks
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear this but you should know by now that in the IT industry you must keep yourself up to date in your technologies and certifications. Don't despair, if you've been working hard at your job and have all this experience, you should be able to bang out these certs quickly.

Your right but as the days turn in to weeks and then years with family and your job it kinda like you turn around and i have missed the boat ...But your right...no one is going to just give you any thing..You have to do it your self....thanks
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you will be fine. Kill the CCNA and maybe the CCNA: Voice.

Oh, and good grief! I'm going to be 31 and you are making me feel like I'm getting old... :P
  • jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tasman35 wrote: »
    On subnetting they way Jeremy is teaching on cbt nuggets is look at the ip and ask how meany subnets you need and do the math...But is this the only way to use subnetting...? what Will i need to work ith ip add in the real world....

Its one of the ways to do subnetting. Some instructors use different approach (if you try to google, you'll find many methods). However with jeremy's way of subnetting, for me, I find it much easier to follow. I mean you only need to follow 3 steps. When you get the hang of it. You will be able to do subnetting and reverse subnetting in seconds.
    jayskata wrote: »
    Its one of the ways to do subnetting. Some instructors use different approach (if you try to google, you'll find many methods). However with jeremy's way of subnetting, for me, I find it much easier to follow. I mean you only need to follow 3 steps. When you get the hang of it. You will be able to do subnetting and reverse subnetting in seconds.
    I keep going over it for the last few day ...Im getting it but just wanter to make sure that this is the most resorce for way to use this tool...kinda dont want to use a screw driver as a hammer...sure you can do it that way but there are tools for the job...
    I know what you mean mate, what I suggest is you learn jeremy's way of subnetting first. Then try to compare other methods to his and see which works for you best. icon_thumright.gif
    now that makes me feel a lt better...i will stick with this way....thanks...
    here's a good website for you to practice subnetting. Subnetting Practice Questions ENJOY! icon_cheers.gif