CCNP or CCNA:Wireless + Security?

eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
Basically what I'm asking is would it be better to get the CCNP without Cisco work exp or go with a CCNA specialization cert like Data Center, Wireless and/or Security?

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Sorry but I couldn't quite understand - you don't have networking experience or just no experience working on Cisco equipment?

When I didn't have experience, I was faced with the same question. I had a CCNA and it was either CCNA Security or CCNP R&S. In that case, I went with a specialization because the CCNP wouldn't help me without experience to back it up. Plus, the point is not to get the cert but to gain the most knowledge out of it. Yeah, sure, you can learn the stuff and pass CCNP without doing CCNP lever work but if you are doing it, hands-on, you will learn a lot more. It will just sink in better and stay there longer. That's one of the reasons why many people advise not to rush it. At least that's what I did and it worked out for me.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    You'll have to work harder on the CCNP without any experience so I also suggest going with a CCNA specialization cert. It may help you land a job since you'll be more well rounded.

As for which specialization to take? Go with the area you have the most desire to work in.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!