Options

"Hackers" in the Workplace

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I read an article a few years back (if you Google you can find it) where they spoke about companies needing to hire "hackers" (in the sense of someone interested in programming, automation, etc) to help move things along. In my current role, it was meant to be more policy then anything else, but now I am finding that I am using my technical skills more then ever. Yesterday I wrote a powershell script that took about two hours of work and turned it into a few seconds. So the question is, are you seeing that you are doing such things or perhaps finding users with technical skills writing scripts, programs, etc to make everything easier? Citizen Programmers is probably the better term, but putting hackers in the title will get more views/responses haha
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Citizen Programmers is probably the better term, but putting hackers in the title will get more views/responses haha

Yes. I feel I need a refund.

Surely the whole point of IT is to save time and make the lives of those of are doing the money making business easier and more efficient.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Everyone should do their part. I don't expect individual workgroups to spin up their own Windows Servers for network services a la DHCP, DNS and such. But I do expect my users to get into the application and understand it's capabilities. We train users on advanced functionality of Office and VMWare Fusion (lot of mac newbies).