Options

Sybex CISSP Study Guide & CISSP AIO 6th ed

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
Quick question.

I just started studying for my CISSP (looking to test around February - its needed for my job) and began by reading through the domains in my Sybex CISSP Study Guide and then reading the same domain's chapter in the Shon Harris CISSP AIO.

That seemed like an okay method of study (I did it successfully for CEH) until I realized that there wasn't too much parity between the two. For example, the access domain chapters in the Sybex book are about 80 pages combined. The same domain in the AIO was 140 pages.

Is one too brief, one over reaching, or should I use them both?

Any other study material recommendations would be appreciated as well!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I read Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide. The book was only 500 pages plus in total, meaning each domain is about 50 pages or so and I find it sufficient for me to pass the CISSP exam. What is most important is not the number of pages but the way that the author of each books explain the concepts. What work best for you and what is best for you to absorb at your level? Having read through the official CISSP CBK, I would say it does not work for me even though it has 1500 pages in total. So you got to find your own balance point, too much pages may seems too in depth, but too difficult to absorb anything. Too little pages may be very focus on the concepts covered, easy to absorb but may end up overlooking some important points in the exam. One way to go about having the best of both is to start with the book that has lesser pages and more focus in coverage, work on it to memorise the concept, then move on to another study guide or book with more pages, then you can touch on more depth on areas which may not be covered by previous study guides.
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read the Conrad 2nd ed book as well as the Harris AIO 6th ed. I felt that Harris book was at time very over reaching, but I do believe there a some details that are gone over at time that help tie some of the subject matter together.

Overall though, I am not going to lie, it was a very hard read. I felt that the Conrad book was a much easier read.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its hard for me to get past the pretentiousness of the bland humor before every paragraph...
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What ever medium you may use, be prepared for the new ISC2 exam format. It does throw things out a bit.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    New items formats have been added to the exam, but the information tested for is still the same.