Hoping for a new career

mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings,

A little bit about myself: I do not have experience in IT. In the past 4 months I have earned certs in A+ and NETWORK+ and I'm a couple of weeks away from taking SECURITY+. I will shortly after that obtain my CEH. ( You know, like everyone else:) ) Although I have no official IT experience I do like to "dabble", specifically with adding a ubuntu server for my home, flashing ROMs on my phone, helping friends and family with their computer problems.... very basic stuff. The kind of experience I do have is being an analyst for the military.
So here are my questions.

Is it possible to start an entirely new career by getting these certs? Information security seems pretty lucrative.
Does being an analyst (I understand how broad of a term that is) for the military help in transitioning into a data security analyst? Would those in charge of hiring see this as a plus or as not being applicable?
If I was to get a job how much OJT is there? Are you expected to know how to do everything on day one?

Basically, starting to feel all of this has been for nothing.
Any insight would be very appreciated...

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it possible to start an entirely new career by getting these certs?

Yes - Many start with much less than you have, as well.
    Does being an analyst (I understand how broad of a term that is) for the military help in transitioning into a data security analyst?

What were your responsibilities?
    Would those in charge of hiring see this as a plus or as not being applicable?

See above.
    If I was to get a job how much OJT is there? Are you expected to know how to do everything on day one?

There's always a high amount of OJT, because each environment is different. I wouldn't worry about that at all.
    Basically, starting to feel all of this has been for nothing.

It hasn't been for nothing; many here have been through that struggle of finding the first job, or the first promotion. Keep pursuing your passion and what you believe in, and you'll be just fine.
  • mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What were your responsibilities?

Leading a team in delving through large amounts of data to determine patterns, predict and prevent future actions, and answer any and all questions from the higher ups. Also, finding flaws in our own procedures and creating documents explaining the flaws and how best to correct them.